Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI NYC Event

Watched it. My opinion: disappointed.

Occusync 2 is great, but in reality it isn't anything new. Just glad they didn't try to go wifi on this one.

Hasselblad camera is sure to give amazing pictures, but they didn't mention what the actual dynamic range is of the sensor, just that they can use "eHDR" to stack exposures. Well, so can anyone!

Zoom is neat, but only a 2x zoom. That's nothing, and you can take that with 4k. And on the zoom you have the same 1:2/3 sensor as the original Mavic/Air/Spark.

Oh, and no 4k/60.

End of the day it's a more portable Phantom 4 Pro. I won't be running out to get this.
Ummm
Occusync 2.0 - 5 mile range vs 1.5 at 1080. That's significant.
Ability to split control and video across different frequencies - that's a win for interference
Both 2.4 and 5.8 automatically switched
Dynamic range = 10 stops for video 14 stops stills. What wasn't clear if this is withe their E-HDR, so minimally 10 stops which is a big jump over 8 bits.
Electronic shutter - not mechanical but still a Good Thang.
Lens has been reportedly improved for flare which was always an issue with the P4P.
The biggest thing is teh increased capabilities of obstacle avoidance with a sensor on top finally! Not to mention illuminated lower for better precision landing in low light. Then there's the advanced avoidance algorithms from the Mavic Air.
Increased flying time to 31 minutes - a new 4S battery. Improved low noise with new props, ESC's and motors.

No - this is a huge improvement - even over the Phantom 4 Pro.

I don't think anything...it came in more expensive than the outgoing product. $1249 base price vs $999....plus the fly more kit add on at $319!!

Well, we can dream eh! Still, over time I think we've seen the prices slide for the lower level stuff once the initial buzz subside on the new entry... They want to move inventory i am sure...

Ummm
Occusync 2.0 - 5 mile range vs 1.5 at 1080. That's significant.
Ability to split control and video across different frequencies - that's a win for interference
Both 2.4 and 5.8 automatically switched
Dynamic range = 10 stops for video 14 stops stills. What wasn't clear if this is withe their E-HDR, so minimally 10 stops which is a big jump over 8 bits.
Electronic shutter - not mechanical but still a Good Thang.
Lens has been reportedly improved for flare which was always an issue with the P4P.
The biggest thing is teh increased capabilities of obstacle avoidance with a sensor on top finally! Not to mention illuminated lower for better precision landing in low light. Then there's the advanced avoidance algorithms from the Mavic Air.
Increased flying time to 31 minutes - a new 4S battery. Improved low noise with new props, ESC's and motors.

No - this is a huge improvement - even over the Phantom 4 Pro.
Let me clarify:

Occusync 1 had a 7km range at 720p. If you are flying off a phone, the real difference here isn't much. You still had the range, you still had the resistance to interference in lower ranges.

Separate send/receive channels is how all the Phantoms work, how Lightbridge works, how every home built FPV unit works. It isn't how the crappy wifi of the Spark and Air work. DJI is bragging about returning to the old way of doing things....which is no doubt better.

Like I said, that Hasselblad camera will be fantastic. Mechanical shutter doesn't matter at all, that's how it is in all mirrorless cameras now anyway. The mechanical aperture is golden. 10-bit raw is awesome.

DJI said nothing about reduced lens flare. There have been many "reports" before today, but if DJI didn't address it, it isn't real.

The rest is just technical evolution. I'm not saying it's a bad drone, because it isn't. I guess I'm just not surprised or amazed by anything here. It's all iterative. No big revolutionary changes to the game. Maybe it is a lot bigger change than I'm realizing, but the presentation was boring as hell.

If anything, I wanted to hear more about the Enterprise model. This has a lot of potential in a very different market. Not "for everyone".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502