Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Spark Compass Calibration

So either two DJI reps are wrong and you're right or vice versa. My money is on the DJI reps.
You got it. Someone here is definitely not giving you good advice ;)

Here's what a 3rd DJI rep wrote in the Spark manual:

1545858327833.png

Reactions: Spark 317
Ok, I'm getting conflicting info. A second rep said only to recalibrate when at a new location. So, I'd like to hear from an engineer, or someone with an intimate understanding of a drone's innards, who can say exactly what a compass calibration does and when it's necessary and if frequent calibrations do any harm or are just a waste of time? :)

Ok, I'm getting conflicting info. A second rep said only to recalibrate when at a new location.
And now I guess you can see why I was questioning your reps.

who can say exactly what a compass calibration does
The only purpose of compass calibration is to measure the components of the aircraft's magnetic field so that they can be subtracted from the total measured magnetic field. Rotating the three-axis magnetometers allows the aircraft's flight controller to separate the surrounding magnetic field from the magnetic field of the aircraft itself. It's able to separate them since the aircraft's magnetic field remains constant (in the frame of reference of the magnetometers) while the surrounding magnetic field rotates.

when it's necessary
It's necessary when:
  • Compass interference values are out of whack or DJI GO is displaying a compass error (check area for magnetic metal objects before calibrating)

• The Spark is circling in flight while hovering in place (also check for other possible causes)

• New metallic equipment has been attached or removed from the Spark (e.g. GPS tracker)

• If you just degaussed your compass (don't degauss the compass unless instructed)

if frequent calibrations do any harm or are just a waste of time
Frequent calibrations will do no harm as long as you're calibrating in a location where the compass is not being negatively affected by some type of nearby magnetic metal source. Recalibrating the compass is a waste of time unless you're calibrating because of one of the four listed bullet points above.

Reactions: Haggi
Hi first time poster and forgive me if this is a silly thought. What about making a small lazy Susan type device that could easily be used th calibrate the compass constantly each time other than location considerations. I’m always thinking of easier and more consistent ways to do things. Thoughts please.

Thanks in advance

You should only calibrate the compass when you first activate it or when prompted to do so. Not constantly. The whole idea of calibrating in a remote location is to minimize the magnetic interference that may affect the compass.

We carry enough Spark accessories and don't need another thing to lug around.:)

Reactions: Andre Levite
So you stand on the lazy Susan while holding the drone over your head and it spins you around?

But wouldn't that make you dizzy?!?

:rolleyes:
You should only calibrate the compass when you first activate it or when prompted to do so. Not constantly. The whole idea of calibrating in a remote location is to minimize the magnetic interference that may affect the compass.

We carry enough Spark accessories and don't need another thing to lug around.:)

I was considering something the size of a saucer to place the drone on I could place in the car and you only when needed. Don’t think I would want to be dizzy

What about making a small lazy Susan type device that could easily be used th calibrate the compass constantly each time other than location considerations
It would be easier to only calibrate the compass when needed (which is less than once every few years for most people). You'll probably get tired of carrying the lazy susan around for nothing ;)

I was considering something the size of a saucer to place the drone on I could place in the car and you only when needed. Don’t think I would want to be dizzy

This is the funniest thread ever. Needed to check my calendar...

Is it New Year's Eve eve or April Fool's Day?!?

Okay so my turn for some advice. I calibrated once before flight #1 with my Spark, it was on June 1, 2018. Since then, all has been well except for one or two glitches, the second last one started me wondering. Yesterday, I decided to walk out into the middle of my front field, which is pretty large, and no trees anywhere near, so i could, for the first time, check out a quickshot mode, specifically the Helix. So it seemed to go well, there ws not much wind and the flight behaviour was as expected. Once the quickshot was complete however, the drone suddenly went into ATTI mode and I got a "poor GPS" warning. I immediately flew the Spark back to my location and hand landed. So, next chance I have (I was out of time and battery by then) I am going to do the calibration, and now for the question after this long lead in (sorry)... As I have heard conflicting stories...

I use a TilePro velcro-ed to the bottom of my battery on every flight. I am now assuming, from what I have been reading, that I should actually calibrate with it attached.

What say you experts?

Well I see that my question was a stupid one and will keep my thoughts to myself from now on. Sorry I cluttered up this thread.
Actually, its a good thought, I have often wondered if the smoothness of the rotation had any bearing on the effectiveness of the process. However, it seems that its not that granular. Still, I liked your idea!

Great and informative video! Do I have this right? Calibrate the spark 360 degrees in its default (as if it were on the ground) position, and then rotate it 360 degrees with the prop arms facing the ground and the sky. I have another question -- I am going to fly my spark about 80 miles away from where I always fly it. Same kind of country environment. Do I need to calibrate it in the new location? Thanks for your video and for this help.

Great and informative video! Do I have this right? Calibrate the spark 360 degrees in its default (as if it were on the ground) position, and then rotate it 360 degrees with the prop arms facing the ground and the sky. I have another question -- I am going to fly my spark about 80 miles away from where I always fly it. Same kind of country environment. Do I need to calibrate it in the new location? Thanks for your video and for this help.

I didn't watch the video, but I calibrated the compass in 2017 in my backyard by following the prompts in the app.

I have traveled a few hundred miles from home and had no problems.

Just make sure to do it correctly the first time and you should be fine. ?

Reactions: LetnayaPogoda
As a confirmation, I've only ever needed to calibrate the compass once in my Spark and M1P, and you only need to do it if the app asks you to.
First though, shut down the drone / controller, move a short distance away from the area you were standing, and try start up again, as it could be just some magnetic anomaly in the ground nearby.

Reactions: LetnayaPogoda

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme