Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI will be adding airplane & helicopter detectors to drones in 2020

msinger

DJI Drone Expert
Approved Vendor
Premium Pilot
Join
May 27, 2017
Loc
Harrisburg, PA (US)
Web
spark-help.com
After January 1, 2020, DJI will be including AirSense technology in all consumer drones weighing more than 250 grams. This will allow drones to receive ADS-B signals from nearby airplanes and helicopters and warn drone pilots if they appear to be on a collision course. AirSense can detect airplanes and helicopters from miles away -- farther than a drone pilot can hear or see them.

See more details in this DJI news release:
DJI Adds Airplane And Helicopter Detectors To New Consumer Drones

I wonder if regulatory approval of this new system on a per platform level is what is stalling the release of Phantom 5 and Spark 2. ?

I wonder if regulatory approval of this new system on a per platform level is what is stalling the release of Phantom 5 and Spark 2. ?

AirSense received FCC and FAA clearance back in early 2017 when introduced to the Matrice. Adding the same tech to lesser aircraft would probably not much of a roadblock. If anything one would expect the FAA to be very eager to expand the program.

The FCC is primarily concerned there's no electronic interference with other devices. And the FAA let ADS-B through previously even though it was not very reliable at the time of its original launch.

It's certainly possible that regulatory approval is the hold up for new models. But on the other hand DJI might not even need to reapply at all..

It's unlikely we will ever know for certain -- both sides are rather opaque. And there are so many other possible reasons for "delays" of products that haven't even been announced

Interesting stuff

I wonder if AirSense 2 (or 3) will be able to take evasive action autonomously...

I wonder if AirSense 2 (or 3) will be able to take evasive action autonomously...
Nope, it says right in the report I saw that it only notifies the pilot of a nearby aircraft. It is up to the pilot to react and "get away". I think I'd prefer it that way. Don't want any fly-aways into a nearby building...

Reactions: matt48
Nope, it says right in the report I saw that it only notifies the pilot of a nearby aircraft. It is up to the pilot to react and "get away". I think I'd prefer it that way. Don't want any fly-aways into a nearby building...
Did the report you saw say ANYTHING about AirSense 2.0 or AirSense 3.0?

I didn’t think so.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme