Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Do you guys really notify every airport?

pyrokidd89

Join
Dec 25, 2017
Like the title says in my area there are a ton of small municipal airports and helipads. As I understand you are supposed to call the tower of each airport prior to each flight. Do you guys really do this every time you fly?Screenshot_2018-01-02-18-50-39.jpg

Like the title says in my area there are a ton of small municipal airports and helipads. As I understand you are supposed to call the tower of each airport prior to each flight. Do you guys really do this every time you fly?View attachment 2546

Yes, and you should too.

Any flight above the tree line, yes. If I'm using the Spark for a Selfie, for a close shot 15 ft up, I don't call.
Common sense prevails. I have 2 'helipads' by my house that haven't been used in 30 years...
The contact phone #s don't work, but the FAA still keeps it active on maps... control freaks.
One of the helipads was on an estate, which was sold to a developer, and a subdivision was built there.
The other one is marked on a golf course fairway. Do some investigating... not everything on airmap is 'legit'.

Fact is, as a responsible pilot, in a new area, you SHOULD CALL if you're within 5 miles, because YOU
have no idea how active those local airstrips/helipads are. I've never been shunned by any airport
personnel for calling... only thanked. It gets fun when you're in 3 airport zones... but, iffin' ya wanna
fly, it's best to have the law on YOUR side.

I've just been avoiding them frankly, there's enough places to visit on my to do list that are in the clear I haven't really been forced to deal with it. But I've had to talk to towers for other reasons, and I've been in towers a couple of times, and they've been nothing but helpful.

My house is just barely within the five mile radius of a local unattended airport listed on airmap. I have flown various toy class drones over the past year that did not meet the requirements for registration. I knew I was receiving a spark for Christmas this year and actually registered it the day before it was required again in anticipation of flying on Christmas day. I did a lot of research into what the requirements for flying my new drone would be. I called the manager of the local airport and told him of my plans. He wanted to make sure I was aware of the FFA rules and I told him I had just registered and was informed..He stated that as long as I followed those rules he had no problem with my flights. I asked if I could get his response in writing and he sent me an email to that effect. He was very friendly and appreciative of my call. I must admit I was a little intimidated at the prospect of calling but I want to be responsible. He has my name and contact information if anything changes on his part and I will check in with him periodically. This is only for flights at my residence.

Reactions: Pixel Ranch Steve
I live 4.8 miles from the airport and AirMap advises only 100ft high. My house is not in a plane path.

Airmap is NOT the end all be all. It is there as an informational reference. Just call the Airport. Discuss you plans to fly locally. I'm 4 miles from an Air Force Base. I called them, they were professional, but polite. Took my name and address said if I was flying at my home location, not to fly towards the base, and stay under 300 ft. No need to contact them for these flights. Who knew?

I rarely go above 200 ft at the house anyway... life is good.

The DJI GO 4 app isn't the last word either. If you have permission to fly in a "green circle" jump through the hoop, and go fly!

Reactions: Noc Lue
I called all 5 of the heliports that showed up on my airmap. They all seemed thankful I called but told me I don't have to call them for future flights. One told me to only call if I was within 2 miles of them.

I've called a few local airports and before other flights and they only asked for my approx. location and altitude and seemed fine with me flying as long as I adhered to the FAA rules.

There's a grass field on the map close to my house. Way back many moons ago, I called the number for the owner. A very nice lady answered the phone, she said it was her Dad's and he's been dead for over 5 years. So I've not called her again.

I am a professional airline pilot who owns a spark. Although adherence to local airspace rules are completely mandatory. I can tell you I didn’t realize some of these small “airports” ever existed around me. I do not notify the smaller airports such as grass strip and private airports. Not every airport has a control tower. Do your research on the airports around you. A lot of them are people who put up warning zones (because you can) who just want to try and deter you from flying around them. Obviously notify any major airport or General aviation airport if you are in the vicinity, but from what I’m seeing on these geo maps, a lot of them are merely warning areas from someone who has wised up and let you know they don’t want you flying a drone around them.

Reactions: Rizosplayz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar