Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Downward Vision & Infrared Sensor Error

Is it worth it to repair or should I replace my Spark?

• Total voters

Pearson

Join
Jan 3, 2019
Like many of you, my Spark remote stopped taking a charge, so I haven't flown it in several months. Looking online, most replacements were $200 and up. Ouch! But then I found an OEM on eBay for $100 to my door, and bought it. I linked the remote to my Spark yesterday and upon trying to take off, I get sensor errors as follows:
Downward Vision Sensor Error (40003)
Downward Infrared Sensor Error (40003)
I put the aircraft in Beginner Mode so ignore that message
(sorry about the pic, just lots of reflection)

I've been troubleshooting, but I know I've also had a few crashes. A few weeks ago I flew with just my phone, no remote, and the plane wouldn't land properly, was bouncing up/down. I didn't see these warning messages though. After a short flight and a few bouncy landings, I packed it up.

2 questions:
1. Any chance this is a software bug?
2. Is it worth sending in the plane to be repaired to a US drone repair shop?

I've reset the drone, reinstalled the software, checked for updates, cleaned the sensors. I suspect it's a component failure and though I really want the new Mini2, $600 is a little painful.

I hate to toss her in the garbage as she's still otherwise in very good shape. I just think her brain is fried. o_O

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

WIN_20211027_15_47_36_Pro.jpg

If it's software, reinstall a previous version and build back up to the current one.

Since you had a few crashes, the board inside is probably compromised and software stuff probably won't work.

The mini2 would be a good replacement for the Spark. I would have purchased it if it was available at the time, so I got a MA2 as an additional aircraft.

If you're good at tinkering with stuff, purchase the Mini2 and take the Spark apart to see if you can fix it yourself.

There's plenty of tear down videos about the Spark to get you started and most parts are available.

Good luck. :)

Yep, you're responses all make sense. If no one else has any suggestions or insites into repair costs, I may try to part out the Spark and put what ever I can get against a new Mini2.

Thanks.

Just a follow up. I sent in for repair to DJI. They sent me a screenshot that exactly matched the one above, quoted me $96 to repair. I decided my Spark has a little more life in her before replacement so I paid the repair fee and am awaiting return. Including the new remote, I'm in for roughly $200 to get Sparky flying again. I would have bought the Mini2, not the fly-more, for ~$500 so I'm still $300 ahead. Here's the cost breakdown for the Vision System repair. Shipping looks to be included. Hope this is helpful to someone.

Vision System
Quantity: 1
Net Price : 31.00
Total Price: 31.00
Repair Service Fee
Quantity: 1
Net Price : 65.00
Total Price: 65.00

Thought I'd post one more follow-up...

Weather has been cold, with snow, rain, etc. I haven't been interested in flying until this past Monday, 21 Feb 2022, when the temps came up and the winds died down. I've kept my batteries topped off and finally got to take the bird out. After sending out for repair, I received what I think is a new Spark. No signs of wear at all. I quickly synced up the replacement remote, got all software updated and took off for 3 batteries worth of flying time.

I went to a large field, one I have flown at many times for the "maiden" flight. I've also moved to an iPhone from an Android. I can tell you everything about the experience was just smooth, as if DJI made these planes for Apple products! No fussing, great connection/link, no drops, only a few lags. I had the best flight experience in terms of control, distance and disconnects, since owning a Spark. I stayed on "student-mode" for the first 5 mins. since I hadn't flown in several months, but quickly turned that off, and toggled between normal and sport mode.

So if anyone is thinking about repairs to get a little more life out of their Spark, I hope you find this post helpful.

• Love
Reactions: Spark 317
So if anyone is thinking about repairs to get a little more life out of their Spark, I hope you find this post helpful.

I do find it helpful and thanks for the post. 👍

I tried to repair the gimbal on my Spark and it didn't take.

Thought about sending it in somewhere for some help because it is a nice little chunk of fun. :)

The field of view is wonky. VLOS flights only.

It flies fine and I've been cycling the batteries for "future" flights.

. I can tell you everything about the experience was just smooth, as if DJI made these planes for Apple products!

They were when the Spark was released.

I purchased an Apple Mini 4 in 2017 just to fly the Spark.

I'm a Droid user and they worked well with my phones, but the Mini 4 was the perfect platform for the Spark.

Apple has one operating system verses all of the Droid variations., which made it easier for DJI.

Some Droids worked, others didn't.

Apple did. 🍎

Reactions: Pearson

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leahandran