Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Drone for mainly single-handed use

NikTheBuilder

Join
Nov 29, 2020
Loc
Cambridge, UK
My dad mentioned that a friend of his was interested in drone flying.

This chap isn't in the best of health, and has only limited use of one hand.

Are there any special tools or controllers that would be useful to him? - I thought of the new stick-controller that I've seen linked to the FPV, but that seemed like a lot of performance for a beginner.

What are your thoughts, o wise collective?

DJI FPV does have pretty much the same 'autopilot' the the regular consumer drones have, just you can switch it to arco mode once you are getting the feel for FPV.
It's a tough call for the regular controllers, maybe your dads friend could handle thumbs on top (rather than pinch) it could just be doable.

Why not take him out one day to a suitable flat open park and let him have a go ?

It could work by making some sort of extenders for the sticks, so he can use the side of his hand to push one / both sticks to position, slow down all settings for movement.

Not sure if FT Aviator is still made, not sure if there are many out there, possibly 2nd hand ones about.
More likely if so they'd be in the US, not the UK I guess.

If he can pick up a Spark kit 2nd hand, maybe gesture control could help him get into it and test the waters slowly.

Edit typo

Last edited:
I think Nik is referring to the motion controller. Yeah, that can be used single-handedly like a charm. The FPV can also be flown in Normal mode, in which it flies more or less like a Mavic.

If you don't want to go that route, then you may want to wait, there are rumours that the Mavic Air 2S will also be made compatible with the FPV Goggles and the Motion Controller

In addition, there was a company/startup that built controllers much like the motion controller. It is called the FT Aviator: FT Aviator Drone Controller for DJI Drones by Fluidity Tech It looks like you could mount this on a fixed base and then fly the drone with one hand?

Cheers,
-Joost-

Reactions: RotorWash
No worries mate, it may have ben missed by the OP, so all good.

Not sure they'd have any luck finding one, rare as hens teeth, and I don't think they went into any sort of major worldwide distribution / supply networks as we see DJI has the ability.

The Fluidity website say "Team Fluidity is heads down, working on cool cutting edge tech. As a result, we are currently no longer selling or supporting the FT Aviator " so maybe they are working on an even better system.

DJI FPV drone with motion controller is a decent option perhaps if the budget allows, but the (day with someone with a) Spark with gesture control may be good to test the persons 'addiction' level to justify spending whatever is needed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef