Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Drone news in the UK

twickers14

Join
Sep 6, 2018
Loc
SW U.K.
Attaching an article from yesterday’s Daily Mail with more negative coverage. Quite where the stats are from the paper doesn’t say but with drone ownership here and world wide up hugely the numbers quoted in relation to the total number will be very small but, the points are made and people are still doing it wrong. Those of us who do our best to fly for proper fun and achievement, photography etc and just the thrill of piloting something successfully and safely within the Rules never get a mention!56E7D9F8-F486-443C-9101-4FEDB0C2AD10.jpeg

Funny how they capitalized DAY in the title instead of the obvious "problem" (SIX).

Looks like they've given the editor the day off. Now the writers are free to post sensationalized rubbish.

The sad truth is that the media and general public will never embrace drones. For every positive story there are dozens of negative ones -- and negative headlines in bold CAPS sell newspapers.

Funny how they capitalized DAY in the title instead of the obvious "problem" (SIX).

Looks like they've given the editor the day off. Now the writers are free to post sensationalized rubbish.

The sad truth is that the media and general public will never embrace drones. For every positive story there are dozens of negative ones -- and negative headlines in bold CAPS sell newspapers.
Think you’re right Andre. Makes me very cross. It’s difficult enough to fly safely here without this sort of unsupported (by fact) stuff. Hey ho.

Reactions: Andre Levite
Attaching an article from yesterday’s Daily Mail with more negative coverage. Quite where the stats are from the paper doesn’t say but with drone ownership here and world wide up hugely the numbers quoted in relation to the total number will be very small but, the points are made and people are still doing it wrong. Those of us who do our best to fly for proper fun and achievement, photography etc and just the thrill of piloting something successfully and safely within the Rules never get a mention!View attachment 10030
Did you notice the little section at the end. A pilot met at drone at 6000ft ??

Reactions: Stathis_K.

Completely possible. The plane would be around those speeds during take off and a drone is capable of going that high.

Think you’re right Andre. Makes me very cross. It’s difficult enough to fly safely here without this sort of unsupported (by fact) stuff. Hey ho.
People are definitely reading these story's. Twice now I've being flying my mavic and spark and had a uninformed busy body come running towards me.

Some people turn into rage monsters when they hear or see one, and I'm a big young lad, you just see the rage in Thier eye's hunting you down.

Reactions: twickers14
Perhaps time for DJI to stand up and be counted. They have the clout to mount a decent campaign of positive releases etc. We, their customers, fund their business. Appreciate governments are, quite appropriately, around the world simply trying to make their airspace safe and their citizens “unspied” on but the biggest drone manufacturer in the world surely has a role to play in batting back some of the stories that abound and promulgating the good stories we hobbieist tell here regularly.

I does seem rather unlikely. Trying to identify a small object with a closing speed of over 300mph can't be very reliable. I've flown gliders on cross country tasks in the UK and have seen buzzards at over 4000ft in southern England, so I suspect it was a raptor of some sort.

Also assuming a 30 minute flight time, 15 minutes climbing that's a ascent/descent rate of 400 ft/min with virtually no time to loiter around.

The Mail is read by and written by racist, tin-foil-hatted, ***ts who are scared of anything that's been invented since the 1950s. Best to avoid the badly written rag and anyone that reads it.

Your description of The Mail applies to most of US press as well. Investigative journalism has been replaced with sensationalized headlines and lazy copy and paste plagerism.

Most drone articles are just clickbait fear-mongering. Sad

Reactions: Stathis_K.
Personally, I don't believe all the cr*p we hear in the papers. Out of the millions of users who regularly fly their drones, how many are really up to no good? It is the uninformed, offended by anything/offended for 'others' brigade who have spoiled it for us all. If these uninformed idiots actually saw the footage from any of us here, or from most people, they would be stuttering when they choke back their insecurities as they try to say "yeah, but...." and seeing it is just photography from a different aspect. Too many people, with too much time on their hands getting too flustered over their own insecurities.

Here here. As I said up front this Forum shows how much fun ordinary drone people get from this fabulous hobby. I don’t do social media at all (I suppose this is social media but you know what you mean) but much enjoy contributing to and consuming what you guys and gals share here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh