Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Drone racers blame DJI users

I've seen infighting in a number of activities, and it never ends well. Years ago, I raced motorcycles in the deserts of SoCal. The environmentalists knew that the off-road community was large enough that it couldn't be taken on as a whole, so they used the tried and true tactic of divide and conquer. It worked, because each group refused to stand up for/with the others; motorcycles, ATVs, trucks, buggies, Jeeps... The result was massive closures of riding areas... For all. The same thing happened with watersports; personal watercraft vs power boats vs sailboats vs fishing boats... the attitude is that as long as it affects "them" instead of "me", oh well... or even "serves then right". And the next thing you know, we are ALL affected.

Flying by radio control is a hobby that includes many different facets; fixed wing, helos, drones...If we won't stand up for each other, no one will stand up for any of us, and we will ALL lose. It's really sad to see history repeating itself over and over; we never seem to learn.

Reactions: Haggi
This is a universal issue, it's not something that's specific to quad racers. I'm sure the ricers and other auto professionals wish the automotive industry and road regulations were more relaxed, and blame all the random idiots behind the wheel for all the restrictions they have to deal with. It happens in so many different arenas. New tech shows up, people just do what they want, then it starts getting more popular and regulations try to play catch-up. Look at how the FCC restricts radio transmission, FDA restricts foods and medicines, etc. Heavier regulation was going to happen to model aircraft sooner or later, and we should just be surprised that it took *this* long to happen. The only reason it had a slow pace is because of how low use was (due to higher skill and money requirements) until recently. There's no point in fighting it, it was inevitable, and is NOT going away. Try to adjust to it, and keep an eye on it that it doesn't go way overboard. Stressing over it only makes it worse on you.

Reactions: Haggi
An old saying------------------and is what is happing to the whole RC industry; not just drones, as soon as the camel (government) gets his noise under the tent, (a few new regulations), soon the whole camel (government) will get in, First a few regulations (the noise) then soon the regulations will come faster and faster, You read it here first, remember that you read it here.
It's coming I'm almost certain. (join an AMA club) fly in that field and no where else. You will need a special license to fly anywhere else, and you will pay the government dearly and have to pass a test to get that license (from the government, of course).
have a nice day

I think the last part says it all. The government gets money. Same here in the U.K. Just renewing my PfCO, and it’s costing me around $200. Apparently to cover their costs. I wonder what they are.

I believe you are right, and we will be powerless to do anything about it.

However, I find it hard to believe Amazon, Walmart, or anyone else will be able to make legitimate use of drone deliveries. Given the sheer volume of deliveries, even if only economically viable in select markets, people will protest the volume of traffic, and the swarm of bees above. We may not be able to hear one drone at 400 feet, but an army of drones must be loud.

If the commercial drone business is otherwise only inspections, how much space do they need?

If I am pushed into the confines of an AMA field, I will give the hobby up.
Well - back in the 60's there was an uproar about airport noise and they enacted regs to appease homeowners. After awhile it became ubiquitous and now people act like it's normal background noise - same for highway noise.
I am also firmly in the camp that believes giant corps want the airspace to themselves. We are witnessing the next step in commercialization of what once was hobbyist airspace.

Well - back in the 60's there was an uproar about airport noise and they enacted regs to appease homeowners. After awhile it became ubiquitous and now people act like it's normal background noise - same for highway noise.
I am also firmly in the camp that believes giant corps want the airspace to themselves. We are witnessing the next step in commercialization of what once was hobbyist airspace.

I to agree with you; if the only place I can fly ia an AMA field,; I"LL give up the hobby; or fly illegal till they catch me;
I"m 86, put me in jail for life LOL LOL I"m half dead now.

Reactions: Miket
I bought my drones (2 sparks) and 2 ( DJIPRO3) all 4 trouble free, bought them before they started all this foolish ness about restrictions; I have "never upgraded any of them even though I get constant messages to upgrade which I just delete. these drones are worth there weight in gold. NO CRAZY RESTRICTIONS
I have found that most pilots have trouble after upgrading, (no fly zones, ETC ETC ETC ) I have DJI go app and litchi app, both work fine; no problems the go app gives me warning when I get in a no fly zone but it also says if I agree to fly safe and I agree by pressing the yes button, I can fly there. no problems. I never fly more than 150 feet high and always in the line of sight, never over crowds; you get the idea, I fly safe. I wish all these pilots who want to fly 5 miles away and 6000 feet high would just go away.
and that's my two cents worth---if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Reactions: Miket
Just like politics divide and conquer. No matter fix wing or drone/racer we need to stick together and try to keep a handle on the gov. cutting are legs out from under us. There people that will never obey the laws as a group we need to watch for them and call them out not blame the group as a whole. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Mike Brown

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fulavio