Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Dronelink - Will it work without RC controller

GordonSA

Join
Apr 18, 2020
As I got my Spark without the RC controller (no longer available ?) I can only fly via the Go4 app, which has a fairly pathetic range.
Following the comments here, Dronelink looked like a decent way to solve this problem, and their platform seems like a great solution. However, to get it to work they say that it needs to be connected to the controller.
Has anyone managed to find a solution to this, or are you all fortunate enough to be flying with the RC controller?

Hello from the Hoosier heartland GordonSA

I can't help you with the Dronelink problem, but there are some remotes still available for the Spark on eBay and Aliexpess (link below) if you wish to purchase one (highly recommended).

Welcome to the Forum.:cool:

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately a bit much for my pocket right now, with our economy and currency in freefall . . . . .

Spark needs RC and also OTG cable.

• Sad
Reactions: GordonSA
It's NOT the GO4 app that has a fairly pathetic range, it's the smart device's wifi strength.
Dronelink is a system (app) primarily for flying automated missions (waypoint missions).
During such a flight all kinds of calculations have to made on the fly to controll the hight, speed, direction and yaw of the aircraft AND the tilt of the camera. Some of these calculations (i.e. speed changes and camera tilt) can not be done bij the aircarft itself and that's where the smart device (app) comes to aid. In order for this to function there HAS to be a connection between the aircraft and the smart device, where the remote controller has solely the function of amplifier to extend the range.
Theoretically Dronelink should work without a RC as long as there is a connection between the AC and the smart device. The same goes for other (3rd-party) apps like Litchi.
So....Unfortunatily you will NOT gain any range.
However, by using Litchi you can fly waypoint missions further out, but you have to keep in mind that speed changes and gimbal control will NOT work anymore when connection is lost.
Manually flying with Litchi still depends on the wifi range (strength) of your smart device, just like GO4.

Litchi allows you to control Wi-Fi based drones (Spark, Phantom 3 Standard, Mavic Air/Pro) with a bluetooth controller when no DJI remote controller is connected.
If you are looking for a compatible bluetooth controller, we recommend the Mad Catz CTRL i for iOS.
Litchi will automatically recognize and accept input from a bluetooth controller after it is paired with your mobile device.

Last edited:
It's NOT the GO4 app that has a fairly pathetic range, it's the smart device's wifi strength.
Dronelink is a system (app) primarily for flying automated missions (waypoint missions).
During such a flight all kinds of calculations have to made on the fly to controll the hight, speed, direction and yaw of the aircraft AND the tilt of the camera. Some of these calculations (i.e. speed changes and camera tilt) can not be done bij the aircarft itself and that's where the smart device (app) comes to aid. In order for this to function there HAS to be a connection between the aircraft and the smart device, where the remote controller has solely the function of amplifier to extend the range.
Theoretically Dronelink should work without a RC as long as there is a connection between the AC and the smart device. The same goes for other (3rd-party) apps like Litchi.
So....Unfortunatily you will NOT gain any range.
However, by using Litchi you can fly waypoint missions further out, but you have to keep in mind that speed changes and gimbal control will NOT work anymore when connection is lost.
Manually flying with Litchi still depends on the wifi range (strength) of your smart device, just like GO4.

Litchi allows you to control Wi-Fi based drones (Spark, Phantom 3 Standard, Mavic Air/Pro) with a bluetooth controller when no DJI remote controller is connected.
If you are looking for a compatible bluetooth controller, we recommend the Mad Catz CTRL i for iOS.
Litchi will automatically recognize and accept input from a bluetooth controller after it is paired with your mobile device.

Thanks for the feedback Tribar. I should have written it better, as I understand that it's not the app's fault that phone wi-fi range is poor.
I'm now looking at a portable wi-fi extender, to see if that might help. It should give me the ability to run Litchi, however the feedback on Dronelink is that it will only work when connected to the RC controller, with an OTG cable.
It seems that Mad Catz don't make their controller anymore. I did see some video's using it, which seemed to help, but unfortunately the Mad Catz website doesn't list the controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit