Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Droning in and beyond the fog?

thewhatever

Join
Nov 8, 2017
Did anyone droned his Spark in a fog and went beyond it too see it like a sea of clouds?
Or is it too dangerous to hit the Spark or lose GPS?

You do not want to fly in the fog.

The fog affects the Visual Positioning System and the Infrared sensors of the Spark and may cause it to "fly away"

The Spark may interpret the fog as being something solid it needs to avoid by not moving forward or constantly rising up to maintain altitude because the Spark thinks it's too low since it can't see the"surface".

Another scenario I've read was the opposite. The pilot was stuck in the fog trying to lower it when the Spark thought it was landing on a cloud, shut the motors off and fell from the sky.

Reactions: Haggi
****!
It would have been amazing to just pop up above the sea of fog, but if it's at the cost of a farewell with the Spark the no

My experience with early morning fog was as following. Upon Spark reaching the layer of fog, DJI Go 4 said that the downward looking sensor experienced an error but I continued climbing. I climbed all the way above the fog (seeing that sea of clouds), then started descent, which felt a bit slow. Having Spark back, I attempted palm landing (just landing on my palm, not gesture control) but Spark hasn't initiated its usual slow landing, rather was just descending lower at high speed and I had to remove my palm quickly. Next time I tried landing, it worked.
Overall it was quite nervous and I felt a bit of unpredictability in Spark behavior. I guess it turned off the downward sensor after the error message but I'm not sure. I'll think twice flying in fog again.
Unfortunately, Airdata does not show any errors and sensors' data is all good.

Litchi has a setting to turn of downward sensor..
Pretty scary when trying to go down through fog, Spark senses "solid ground" and initiate Landing (still 80 meter height).
If you then go down on left stick only, would it shut down the propellers?

My experience with early morning fog was as following. Upon Spark reaching the layer of fog, DJI Go 4 said that the downward looking sensor experienced an error but I continued climbing. I climbed all the way above the fog (seeing that sea of clouds), then started descent, which felt a bit slow. Having Spark back, I attempted palm landing (just landing on my palm, not gesture control) but Spark hasn't initiated its usual slow landing, rather was just descending lower at high speed and I had to remove my palm quickly. Next time I tried landing, it worked.
Overall it was quite nervous and I felt a bit of unpredictability in Spark behavior. I guess it turned off the downward sensor after the error message but I'm not sure. I'll think twice flying in fog again.
Unfortunately, Airdata does not show any errors and sensors' data is all good.

Did you upload the footage?
I am curious to see how it looked

Nice!
Exposure was set on auto or manual? It needed an increase in shutter speed or an nd filter to be perfect

Nice!
Exposure was set on auto or manual? It needed an increase in shutter speed or an nd filter to be perfect
Thanks! All auto. My intent was to shoot the bridge. The fog didn't look that thick from the ground, the problems came as surprise (hence the rapid descent, didn't see I broke through the clouds until I watched the video on computer).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena