Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Electric tape or LIPO safety bags?

GordoZorro

Join
Aug 27, 2017
Hi All,

I'm gonna be travelling with a drone for the first time on an airplane (Spain-Romania), and I just can't seem to find information on what would be the best option to pass the security; should one use electric tape or LIPO safety bags for transporting two tiny Spark batteries?

Any experience?

Regards,
Simo

I use LIPO safety fireproof bag, just to be on the safe side.

Should be fine without anything. You can argue they are smart batteries, the cells are connected to a controller. Airlines worry about unconnected cells shorting and result in burning.

Pointless, both from capacity and connection point of views they are exactly like camera batteries etc that need no additional protection.

Cheers, I see them pointless as well but some individual authorities might not agree with my opinion and just ruin my holiday. Anyway, I have a store nearby that sells 18x22cm bags for 10€, maybe I'll get one just in case. To be seen tomorrow how it goes at the airport.

Nerver seen that ? Search more and read rules for Europe.
I travel many times in Europe (spain, france, italy, germany) and i can confirm that simple plastic zip bag for each lipo is OK.
What to avoid is short circuit with the contacts. You can also protect the contacts of your LIPO with tape.

Hope this help.

LiPo are not like Li-ion battery that you have in laptop or camera. They are higher performance but are less reliable when aged.
There are general recommendations by IATA but each airline adapted them.
Attached 2 examples from Lufthansa and Swiss. Even if Swiss is a daughter company of Lufthansa the requirements are not exactly the same.

Better to put some insulation tape on the contact or put each one in a bag. At security check they will see you are concerned about safety. It is also good practice to put them in a Lipo fire safe bag so in case they would take fire, it will be more easy to extract the bag from your hand baggage and control the fire. Again it will show you care of safety.

Attachments

• LH dangerouse good media_1941993975.pdf
    244.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Dangerous goods _ Prohibited or restricted goods _ SWISS 2017.pdf
    253.4 KB · Views: 1
I was thinking about covering the contacts with tape, and just put the batteries into their compartments in the drone case as it seems quite safe and secure but I suppose I'll then additionally also pack them separately just to avoid pissing someone off.. I did buy the LIPO safety bag too, but only use it if they request it. I'll share the experience after the flight!

According to CAA documentation, lipo batteries must be individually placed in plastic bags or contact points otherwise insulated, they must go in Carry on luggage, different airlines have different rules, as do certain countries, do your research before you travel,
Check out my turkey post for some examples!

What to avoid is short circuit with the contacts. You can also protect the contacts of your LIPO with tape.
Yes protected contacts I know of. That is not at all the same as "must be packaged individualy".

The following is taken directly from the civil aviation authority CAA website

"Each lithium ion cell or battery must be individually protected so as to prevent short circuits (by placement in original retail packaging or by otherwise insulating terminals, e.g. by taping over exposed terminals or placing each battery in a separate plastic bag or protective pouch)."

The link to the website is...
Items that are allowed in baggage | UK Civil Aviation Authority

Trust me I have researched this in depth, the safest way to take lipo batteries on a plane is to pop em in individual lipo safe bags, ideally taping connectors as well. Yes zip bags will do, but why risk it? I'm putting this to the test on Monday!

So fellas, just went through the security in Barcelona El Prat airport with the following set-up without any issues or questions asked (see the attached picture). I even left the case open for any curious eyes for staring should there have been any. Please note that I did have two separate plastic bags and even a LIPO safety bag with me in case they would've been required by the staff.

Attachments

• 20170902_190008.jpg
    20170902_190008.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • 20170902_185539.jpg
    20170902_185539.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
Nice one, and at least you were prepared for all the eventualities with lipo bags etc. The foam box also counts as retail packaging, which also is an option according to CAA rules.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar