Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Ex-Bebop2 flyer scared to unbox a Spark......

bullet22

Join
Sep 20, 2017
Greetings all.

Been flying a Bebop 2 with Skycontroller 1 for a year now, it developed a fault so the good people at Maplin (UK) were good enough to give me a full refund. Sweet.

So I plunged for the Spark for mostly the portability but also anticipating better camera performance than the fixed wall-eye of the Parrot. Went for the Fly More Combo for the usual reasons....... £699 UK.

Retrospectively, I'm now hesitant to break the seal (and thus void the 30 day no quibble return) of the Spark, given what I'm reading/seeing with regards to usable range, even with the RC.

I was hoping for a range somewhere near what the BB2 got. I recently did a flight out to 1.2km over the sea with the BB2 with no video lag or control issues - could've gone even further. It's rare I'd want to do that kind of range again, but it's note worthy that the Bebop was capable. Yes, I could see the drone at all times :)

I'm now thinking I should have spent the extra ££ on the base Mavic and supplemented it with bags/batteries later as budget allowed.

In all honesty I only wanted something with a similar range to the BB2 with Skycontroller - given they're both spec'd at up to 2km (I know, ideal situations, FCC etc) I thought I'd be ok, but there's plenty of folk reporting return to home at a couple of hundred metres with the Spark/RC.

Others seem to be doing OK and getting decent range.

If I went for the Mavic over the Spark it wouldn't be for anything other than the perceived increase in range - I'm a hobbyist when it comes to footage and photos (Facebook, YouTube, play back on a tablet etc), 1080p was fine from the Bebop etc...... Not bothered about getting raw files etc............

So what gives? Is the usable range (in the UK at least) for the Spark really that bad? I gotta admit, part of the fun of the Bebop was getting it 'out there' - y'know.

There's a part of me that does crave the Mavic for it's better video and images but I don't even have anything I could playback 4K on, so I'd probably use it 1080p for filesize/usability anyway.

I'm cautious I'm running the risk of 'buy cheap, buy twice' if I open the Spark......... for the most part it seems perfect for my needs (at least for another year) but don't want buyer's regret if the performance is drastically worse than the Bebop 2 w/ Skycontroller.

Any ex-Bebop flyers moved to the Spark that can share their experiences? Any UK flyers happy with their range?

Got this thing on the table now - should I charge up the batteries and give it a whirl or upgrade to the Mavic while I can?

Any thoughts welcomed.

Thanks all !! !! !!

Attachments

• spark.JPG
    spark.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 40
I know what you mean about the fun of getting ‘out there’. Personally with my spark I can quite easily get 800 or so metres in a nice clear area, and have increased that up to 1800 metres with a set of eBay signal reflectors. It was a bit laggy at that distance, but 1200 metres with the reflectors is really good. Be prepared for all the replies of people saying that you’re not allowed to fly more than 500 metres etc.

Reactions: bullet22
I know what you mean about the fun of getting ‘out there’. Personally with my spark I can quite easily get 800 or so metres in a nice clear area, and have increased that up to 1800 metres with a set of eBay signal reflectors. It was a bit laggy at that distance, but 1200 metres with the reflectors is really good. Be prepared for all the replies of people saying that you’re not allowed to fly more than 500 metres etc.

Cheers Chris

Do you have a link to the eBay reflectors? There's a few out there and some folk have reported they can actually reduce the range.

Just confirmed with Maplin UK, as soon as the seal is broken a drone can only be returned/exchanged (even for a credit note) if it is proved to be faulty.

I was told "if you're not 100% sure then return it while you can "... gotta love that honesty :)

I still baulk at laying out an extra £500 for the equivalent Mavic package.

Thanks again.

Cheers Chris. I've attached a few shots from the BB2 just for reference - I was getting crazy heights and distances with that thing. bb1.JPG bb2.JPG bb3.JPG

As an owner of both the Mavic and the Spark I can personally tell you that both are quite awesome. They both serve there purposes well. But if its distance and no video lag that you want you will want to go with the Mavic and an iPhone as your video monitor. The combination cannot be beaten. You wont regret purchasing either one. I will say that here in the US the distance I get with the Spark and the RC remote is pretty impressive for a small WiFi drone, but the Mavic can simply fly for miles and miles and still maintain video signal - which means that you are always gonna have a reliable signal when the drone is within line of sight. Either way you cant go wrong because they are both great drones

As you are comfortable with the size, get a Mavic.

In CE mode, Spark needs antenna mod (windsurfers at least) to reliably go to 1000m and without, may loose connection behind a tree 100 m away.

However, Spark has no competition in its class of size and prize. Just needs to be modded for more than nearby flights.

Last edited:
I've had 617 meters on a long flat beach in Lincolnshire without any issues. I hadn't even realised I'd one that far out. Regardless of the regulations (millions of other threads covering that) - I personally wouldn't wanna take the Spark that far out because it's so small. If something did go wrong, I think it'd be hard to find.

I personally wouldn't wanna take the Spark that far out because it's so small. If something did go wrong, I think it'd be hard to find.
Actually, my reasoning goes the other way. If something would go wrong, a Spark causes less damage, both to others and as a loss.

Actually here in Germany, fpv flights beyond vlos (ie w/o a spotter) are legal for drones below 250g. The Spark almost fits this bill and therefore it is an even greater pitty that it got a weaker connection than Mavic.

I think there's so many factors to take into account when a spark drops.... a lot of people ignoring errors, not calibrating compasses or IMU's. and not even waiting for GPS signal to lock on.

Once they've uploaded their data so others can see it, its been found that a lot of the times its been down to user error

DJi have sold thousands of sparks yet i have only see like 20-30 drops in all the forums im in.... seems like a small number and out of those who dropped you'd wonder what they did before they took off

I'm a late poster, but I have experience in the Mavic, Spark and Bebop 2. The Mavic is the gold standard. Not particularly zippy feeling, but very reliable with great vid feed and range. Plus, long battery life. I was going to buy another Bebop 2 for just barnstorming, but the store had a Spark Fly More package for just a bit more...so I bought it.

I love the Bebop, but it has a pretty crude app. As far as range, I had mine out to 1.8 miles in a valley. However, the Spark has better parts availability and much better app. And it's a soooo much smaller to store and carry. So...I'd say to open it up and let 'er rip!

Parrot has announced a new beebob 2 Power with a number of upgrades from the BB2. Priced close to the spark. Looks promising

Do you happen to have another link? This one was removed and I am looking for a nice pair that will easily move between my MP and Spark. Something that packs easily into the flymore package/bag would be an additional plus, but not required. Thanks!
The link still works for me. It says Antenna range booster extender mavic ... There are many such offers. The link directs me to an offer where the antenna is available in three colors and has a logo a bit similiar to the letter "A" printed on it. They all look the same, a bit like a cigarette box you open into two halves, both exposing one side of the curved reflector.

BTW description says "aluminium". I wonder if other reflector materials (copper, silver foil) wouldn't work better.

I have a set but haven't tried them for distance yet.

This video explains the difference between those pictured and another type of reflectors.

The ones pictured are preferred.

Ignore the fly a ways... usually pilot error from launching near metal objects, not calibrating sensors or just in a rush to fly without checking out conditions. I have not had a single issue.... even had my Spark out to 2.1km looking for my number plate. If you look after it it will look after you. My old man has crashed his 3 times now and he says all were pilot error ( flying in very high wind and flying stick took out the drone and it went for a swim and 2 more times while tracking his dog has run into a tree). Still works well he said. I've never had a crash because I calibrate the compass before a new flying session (session being 4 batteries) and also take note of the winds and Kp. It's a brilliant drone. Don't be afraid of it.

I was saying the same thing until flight nr 36. Home point recorded, all sensors in the green, no error messages in rhe log then 1400' over an almost empty bahamian cay with no interference the RC disconnected, the spark disappeared, never RTH'd.

I bought a second one, hoping the late august mandatory firmware update fixed the issue but if it fails too, it will be my last spark

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme