Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

FAA checking on commercial pilot

SoccerRef12

Join
Jul 5, 2019
Loc
Lampasas, Texas
I'm in the process of obtaining my FAA part 107 certification and have started a drone business. Question for all you 107 certified pilots: how often has the FAA checked on you when operating your drone for commercial purposes?

The FAA doesn’t have the manpower, resources or funding to randomly check drone pilots conducting normal commercial business. They didn’t even have a Director for most of the last two years!

There have been field agents spotted at some large sporting venues (ex. select football stadiums), political events and natural disaster sites. At present the FAA is unlikely to bother with you unless a complaint is first received from the public or another law enforcement agency.

Most publicized FAA contacts have been the result of flagrant rule violations (ex. flying in national parks or over jails) or collisions/injuries.

I’ve never heard of an FAA agent just walking up to a commercial drone pilot without having a good reason so I wouldn’t worry about that as long as you follow the regulations.

But the FAA is rapidly employing computerized GPS tracking systems to monitor drone locations and identify operators. Violators can be identified and notified without any human intervention. Repeat violators can expect a certified letter or knock of the door from the FAA. The FAA has had several public symposia outlining this system. They have proposed a new generation of “black boxes” that drone manufacturers must include to sell in the US.

Never heard of an FAA official confronting a drone pilot. Other officials do, sometimes without knowledge. The most common way for the FAA to get involved is for someone reporting a youtube video of an infraction.

Since I'm ASD, being confronted is a huge problem. One reason I got the license was to answer the question, "Hey, buddy! You got a license to do that?"

Reactions: SoccerRef12

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe