Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

FAA ~ Recreational Drone Flying Aeronautical Test Moves Forward

If done properly, this will be a good thing. If not...

I hold a private pilot license and while there is a good deal of the required information that is valuable and pertinent to drone pilots, a lot of it is not. Recreational drones, even if flown beyond the requisite VLOS, are limited to distances that no manned aircraft would be used for. There is no need to establish voice communication with controlling agencies, no flight following. Of the "more than one million registered recreational drone fliers" in the U.S,. I'd imagine the vast majority fly drones weighing 250 grams or more. I wonder how many with drones under 250 grams will hope to dodge the test thinking if they didn't have to register, they don't have to comply. We'll see, but I'm never optimistic that such things will be done with the right amount of forethought.

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
I hate to say but in my opinion if they test us, we are part 107.

Nah, I expect the recreational test to be much easier. I’m guessing it will cover the following:

1. Types of sUAS users (recreational, commercial, public agency, educational),
2. sUAS weight limits (0.55 to 55-lbs),
3. sUAS Registration,
4. Airspace, the B4UFLY app, and LAANC,
5. Community based rules with emphases on staying clear of and yielding to manned aircraft, VLOS, FPV observers, and flight ceiling limits such as 400-ft in Class G airspace and the limits listed in LAANC,
7. Maybe Checklists since the FAA lives by them,
8. Penalties, fines and consequences for not following the rules, and
9. Online resources for more info.

Little if any weather, aeronautical charts, maintenance and flight logging, aircraft performance, etc.

Did I miss anything?

I have no problem with the FAA requiring drone owners to pass a test. Those of us that follow the rules will comply with the test and continue to fly within the boundaries of the rules BUT those who don't follow the rules will continue to create problems and ruin it for the rest of us and will completely disregard taking the test. The FAA will continue to make things harder for the legitimate drone flyer but that it doesn't effect those who will ignore the law anyway. IMO, passing stricter drone laws will not weed out the good from the bad or stop any of the incidents that we read about.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme