Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying Backwards, Low Over Water, Through Trees

I was recently taking videos of icicles along a rock wall. I was facing into the sun and lost sight of the Spark, should be no big deal. As I was watching in the live video it appeared that I was getting a little close to the wall so I backed away, right into a small tree. Fortunately the drone was less than 10 feet off the ground and landed in soft snow with only one slightly bent prop. I learned a valuable lesson. I can tell that you have sight of your drone at all times. Nice video.

A nice little video of my DJI Spark Flying backwards, low over water (River Torrens, Athelstone, South Australia) through trees:

To subscribe to my channel please click on www.youtube.com/user/homecedo

Great footage can you post what settings you had the camera on and were you in tripod mode I appreciate it may be sunny there and cloudy where I am but a rough idea ??

Reactions: alex_hidrobo
A - MA - ZING. First one of your videos I have watched. I will be looking out for more.
Loved the take off and landing, gives great beginning middle and end. Backwards over water gives a good effect. Have you tried sideways flying under similar conditions? I gave up, my nerves wouldn't take it. Lol

Reactions: Simon Cooper
For those that may have an interest in backward flying videography, you need to check this guy out.

MattiasAllring

He pilots a Phantom 4 and others backwards at full speed with incredible results through structures, trees, etc.

Check out his videos and there are some that were made during an interview with YouTuber Ken Heron that instructs you how to pilot your drone so you can achieve the same results, if you have the ball$ to do so.

Enjoy.:)

Last edited:
Kendallfordguy, personally the ‘backwards reveal’ shots are my favourite. It takes a couple of attempts but the results are worth it. And yes, I watch my Spark like a hawk.

Please forgive the obvious question but why not play safe, fly forwards with the sensor protection and then reverse the video ?

Bandiano, three reasons:
1. I like to use all of the capabilities of the Spark, including flying backwards. Most of my footage is low-level, close-in flying, rather than high up in the air stuff, which requires flying in all directions.
2. It’s good to have different flying skills, incorporating all movements.
3. I’m using iMovie, on my iPad. iMovie doesn’t have a reverse function.
4. Call me old fashioned but, it’s kinda like cheating in my book. The same as too much image correction and enhancement. All my footage is straight from the Spark, to my iPad, to iMovie, to my Camera Roll, to YouTube and to Facebook.

Last edited:
Reactions: alex_hidrobo
Great footage can you post what settings you had the camera on and were you in tripod mode I appreciate it may be sunny there and cloudy where I am but a rough idea ??
Rammer1975, thanks for the comments. The camera was in auto mode. I was in normal flight mode, just going slowly.

Miket, thanks for the comments. To see the videos that I’ve taken since March 2018 go to www.youtube.com/user/homecedo. There’s a lot of low, slow and close stuff in there. I haven’t really done much sideways stuff. Perhaps I’ll give that a go along the river next time.

Bandiano, three reasons:
1. I like to use all of the capabilities of the Spark, including flying backwards. Most of my footage is low-level, close-in flying, rather than high up in the air stuff, which requires flying in all directions.
4. Call me old fashioned but, it’s kinda like cheating in my book. The same as too much image correction and enhancement. All my footage is straight from the Spark, to my iPad, to iMovie, to my Camera Roll, to YouTube and to Facebook.
Bandiano, three reasons:

Thanks Simon, all fair points and well made, I’m just starting out with my Spark and will work on my skills so I can do it properly too eventually

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe