Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying over Pier 39 in San Francisco, CA.

SparkinItUp

Join
Sep 15, 2019
I just watched an awesome video (
) of Pier 39 and surrounding area taken just over a year ago shot by Christopher Tozzi. I know you can fly at Treasure Island/Yerba Buena, but haven’t heard of flying near Pier 39. Can anyone tell me if it’s still legal to fly there?

All you need to do is plug in the location on AirMap and it will tell you.

Doesn’t AirMap just fulfill the FAA obligation? What about the rules of San Francisco as a city? I could be wrong, I’m still learning as you can see I’m a newbie.

Reactions: Spark 317
Doesn’t AirMap just fulfill the FAA obligation? What about the rules of San Francisco as a city? I could be wrong, I’m still learning as you can see I’m a newbie.

Did a quick Google search and found this.

Pier 39 Code of Conduct

It was looking good until rule #18 popped up.

Might have a chance with permission.

Thanks Spark317, you’ve been a great help because I was going, not sure why I didn’t see that when I search, great find!

Reactions: Spark 317
Thanks Spark317, you’ve been a great help because I was going, not sure why I didn’t see that when I search, great find!

It does say ON or ABOVE Pier 39 property, didn't say anything about next to it, but I think you'd be pushing your luck.

The rules are probably similar for the whole area?

Yeah, I’m not going to chance it, although I don’t know how they are controlling the airspace above Pier 39.
AFAIK, only the FAA can control the airspace but some areas/towns think they can. That probably wouldn't stop local law from charging one with an offense regardless however so not worth the hassle or the bad vibe.

I loved the video, but the shots where they flew over the people were not a good idea. You always have to think "what would happen if the drone lost power and fell out of the sky?"

Reactions: tmgrood
AFAIK, only the FAA can control the airspace but some areas/towns think they can. That probably wouldn't stop local law from charging one with an offense regardless however so not worth the hassle or the bad vibe.
Agreed! Our so called rights are going down the tubes.

Reactions: RotorWash
Great video I've been there a few times seeing pier 39 brings back some good memories I've had there.

Yep, love that place, glad someone flew their drone over there and made a cool video (although it cuts a bit too frequently to my taste) because I would probably have been sweating buckets worrying about getting hassled by law enforcement !

Even if you're following the rules, at best you'll have to pack everything in if you're told to do so...as others here have found when they decided to "argue".

I flew there last year. Thought the results were pretty good. I really just went up and took a few pictures a quick video and then brought it back down. Flew over Lombard Street too. Not sure if it was permitted or not but this was over a year ago and things were different then.

According to Airmap the pier 39 area seems to be good to fly. Honestly if you are confident I’d say fly. Don’t do anything crazy, get your shots, get up, and get back down. Like I tell everyone do it safe and don’t draw any attention to yourself.

Attachments

• DC6C4B9D-CEFD-47D6-89FC-F1E96112E770.jpeg
    DC6C4B9D-CEFD-47D6-89FC-F1E96112E770.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef