Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying up to mountain top.

abtocmeptb

Join
Aug 13, 2018
Help me out folks
Mountain top is at 3000 feet. Drone take off spot is 400 feet below at 2600.
Can I legally bring my drone up to 500 feet at take off spot to fly over mountain top?

I planned litchi mission relative to the ground with gradual increases and it always crashes into mountain in virtual mode.

Be carefull about the flight time : going down is slower than going up. Maximum downward speed in sports mode (without using tricks like a double helix descend) is about 7km/h. I did a rapid calculation : you'll need 7 minutes to go down. Might still work out if you can get up in 5 minutes, but I would not count on 12 min flight time with sports mode and heavy climbs. Rather walk up half way before starting the drone ;)

Thanks for video!!
I’ll be flying with litchi waypoints mission and it’s also an interesting situation regarding speed.
Mission time in Litchi is 8 minutes.
When I simulate in Virtual mission it’s only takes around 3 minutes to complete.

Reactions: Jim Smith
I can see 3 options in litchi app. Home, Current and Ground. I understand home and ground. What is current?

Trust me I know how to set flying RTG. All my missions are just fine. However this one particular mountain mission always crashes to the mountain side. Even tho 3D flying path is perfect in google earth.

Take off / way point 1 elevation 4105ft

waypoint 2 mountain top Ground Elevation: 4858ft (753ft above first waypoint )

I set first waypoint 800 feet and second waypont 100 feet above ground. But in virtual mission drone gradually descending instead of flying straight line. For it to fly streight line I have to set waypoint 2 at 984 feet above ground.
Its like either litchi or google earth having some technical problems with that mountain top.

Help me out folks
Mountain top is at 3000 feet. Drone take off spot is 400 feet below at 2600.
Can I legally bring my drone up to 500 feet at take off spot to fly over mountain top?

I planned litchi mission relative to the ground with gradual increases and it always crashes into mountain in virtual mode.

Can't help you with the app, but you are fine flying: you can be 400' above a nearby structure or obstacle. FWIW, I'd manually fly this mission. :)

If flying recreationally only, you are covered under section 336 and there is no height restriction. Only under Part 107 is there a 400' height restriction. Good luck!

Reactions: abtocmeptb
Sorry but that video is too old in post # 8
Litchi now compensates for altitude changes IF CHECKED on the first waypoint.
2018-08-24_LI.jpg
@abtocmeptb ,

Export your flight plan as CSV and attach here so I can look at it.

By the way, you can go +400 over the mountain top no matter where you take off from.
You will be within 400ft of the ground on the way up so you are covered there.

I am away till Sunday night and got no P.C. access. I’ll post it ASAP.
Meanwhile if you have time find whiteface mountain in ny state. Try to create and to fly virtual mission around mountain top form take off spot 200 meters below summit.
I am just curios if it’s just my PC or it’s messed up in litchi/google earth.

By the by
I had a few very nice flight missions up and down the river here using litchi. Every time I send them out it’s a gut wrenching feeling but they do return every time)))

Attachments

• BAFDB9E9-ADEF-4A1A-96A5-8404D9DB66C2.jpeg
    BAFDB9E9-ADEF-4A1A-96A5-8404D9DB66C2.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22
I see what you are saying about Whiteface.
You might need to place waypoints between to let the Spark know it is a steeper grade before you get to the top.
And sadly, that checkbox for above ground is on desktop/laptop web based Mission Hub only.

I did numerous different scenarios with multiple waypoints up to summit. It seems like relative to ground calculations does not work for that location. At least between mission hub and virtual litchi mission.
Well it seems like flying drones there is off limit anyway. I was hoping for a scenic flyover.

I did numerous different scenarios with multiple waypoints up to summit. It seems like relative to ground calculations does not work for that location. At least between mission hub and virtual litchi mission.
Well it seems like flying drones there is off limit anyway. I was hoping for a scenic flyover.

Just curious, off limits on what law/ regulation?
I mean I see the wilderness ranges out there but the mountain is not in it.

Who flew Mavic Pro on WhiteFace Mountain Castle Cafe on July 4?

Just want to avoid confrontation with anyone trying to confiscate my drone. It might be perfectly legal.....
I’m itching to do quick fly by manually I won’t be lying.

Naw, that is urban legends of confiscation.
Inside a National Park, I would believe it.

Ask the park rangers straight up.
I was at a State Park here and asked the superintendent.
He said no because we were 4.9 miles away from an airport and the park was a Turkey reserve.
He continued on to say "but when you are ready to leave the park, take a right at the park gate. That direction will lead you to a scenic overlook that is 5 miles away from the airport and outside the park. You may get what you are looking for from that vantage point."

You just never know...

So weather put on hold my plans to fly to the summit. It was raining up top and closed to the public.
So I had to drew a quick mission with no cell service. I entered 80 meters above home point. As you can see from video mission started just fine but somewhere in a middle I noticed that drone is on a same level as our car and maybe even lower.
So I decided to pause the mission and safely returned it home.
https://sparkpilots.com/media/whiteface.31/

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502