Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Forced auto landing caused Spark to crash into water

djdarbs

Join
Sep 7, 2020
Hi all, Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue or can offer some assistance.

I put the drone up from a large yacht over water as had been done many times in the days prior. Controller said it was in a "no fly zone" and engaged auto landing. Drone was over water so I clicked cancel but it didn't respond. Drone got to about 10cm above water level and said it couldn't auto land due to unsuitable surface, or something along those lines. Then said auto landing again, and was sort of hovering just above water level and moving up and down. I kept full power up on the controller and flew it towards the boat, but it refused to ascend and ended up crashing into the ocean and sinking immediately.

I've logged an issue with DJI and ultimately I'd like them to replace the drone, as it seems like an error occurred which caused the crash.

This is a first time post so I hope the logs attached work!

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2020-09-05_[12-32-21].txt
    74.1 KB · Views: 23
  • ExportCSV_2020-09-05_[12-32-21].zip
    2.6 KB · Views: 15
Were you under the extended centerline of a runway or Presidential TFR. I was able to get off the ground under the extended centerline of a runway. I was curious what the drone would do. It landed. After landing it wouldn't start as I recall.

Reactions: Spark 317
It appears that you launched in a NFZ due to the airport on Hamilton Island.

Screenshot_20200907-093955.png

I looked at your flight log and I see the home point being established, but no mention of a NFZ until it started to auto land about 20 seconds later.

Hopefully DJI will back you up if you wasn't warned before the flight.

I have read in the past that when a (DJI) drone would hit a NFZ, the motors won't start, or the pilot could back away from the area safely if flying.

But the stories I have read lately has the drone land immediately with little input from the pilot.

It appears that you launched in a NFZ due to the airport on Hamilton Island.

View attachment 13364

I looked at your flight log and I see the home point being established, but no mention of a NFZ until it started to auto land about 20 seconds later.

Hopefully DJI will back you up if you wasn't warned before the flight.

I have read in the past that when a (DJI) drone would hit a NFZ, the motors won't start, or the pilot could back away from the area safely if flying.

But the stories I have read lately has the drone land immediately with little input from the pilot.

I haven’t got a response yet so we’ll see. Any idea what their normal response time is?

I had a friend with an identical Spark who flew his in the same location after me with no issue.

if the NFZ is the problem then logically I would think:
A) it shouldn’t let me take off
B) once airborn it should at least let me have enough control to land it

I haven’t got a response yet so we’ll see. Any idea what their normal response time is?

I had a friend with an identical Spark who flew his in the same location after me with no issue.

if the NFZ is the problem then logically I would think:
A) it shouldn’t let me take off
B) once airborn it should at least let me have enough control to land it
How many satellites did you have on take off? If you started it up and took off right away it might not have enough satellites to establish it's location in A NFZ. Once you are in a NFZ it immediately lands. There is no flying it back, as I understand it.

And if you are flying in ATTI, you can "break" NFZ, the Spark don't know
his position. Maybe your friend was in ATTI.

Reactions: Mtntrogger
If the Spark is doing something unwanted, press the Pause button rather than Cancel. This may give you time to take corrective action rather than leaving it up to the drone. I took my Spark to a nephew's house which is probably at least a half mile from a military practice field, but clearly outside the boundaries, yet I got the NFZ message and the drone would only get about 3 feet off the ground, then land. Flying over water has issues because the VPS does not recognize it as a viable reference, probably due to the constantly changing texture. DJI has an article on How to Fly Safely Over Water

Reactions: hiflyer
And if you are flying in ATTI, you can "break" NFZ, the Spark don't know
his position. Maybe your friend was in ATTI.
I have my sport mode set to ATTI, I wonder if my spark found itself in this situation I could recover it?

I have my sport mode set to ATTI, I wonder if my spark found itself in this situation I could recover it?

Short answer, NO.

Under normal operating conditions, ATTI mode is an indication of not having a GPS link to the Spark (Home Point), resulting in drifting with the wind.

The Spark should remain at the current altitude thanks to the on board barometer, but it it will fly with the wind like a toy drone and it's up to you to control it.

That being said, if your Sport mode is set to run in ATTI mode, you must be running a modded Go4 app or tweaked your Spark parameters with the DJI Assistant that may still have a GPS lock while in ATTI mode? ?

As long as the Spark is free flying and you have control, I would think that the Spark is not aware of it's position on the planet and probably be able to fly in such conditions.

Please fly safe. :)

Reactions: hiflyer
Short answer, NO.

Under normal operating conditions, ATTI mode is an indication of not having a GPS link to the Spark (Home Point), resulting in drifting with the wind.

The Spark should remain at the current altitude thanks to the on board barometer, but it it will fly with the wind like a toy drone and it's up to you to control it.

That being said, if your Sport mode is set to run in ATTI mode, you must be running a modded Go4 app or tweaked your Spark parameters with the DJI Assistant that may still have a GPS lock while in ATTI mode? ?

As long as the Spark is free flying and you have control, I would think that the Spark is not aware of it's position on the planet and probably be able to fly in such conditions.

Please fly safe. :)
Interesting you say no but then in consideration of the following explanation it may be possible?
Indeed I run 4.1.15 modded with Epson Bt300 goggles partly as the current djigo4 overloads the Bt300's causing it to run hot. I also modded the spark sport switch to ATTI solely for the purpose of learning to control the aircraft without GPS not for any other purpose. It really is amazing how good the spark is holding it's position in comparison to me in ATTI and my finger is always on the switch in case I lose control! Oh btw I always use the various apps to try to ensure I am not in or near NFZ.

Reactions: Spark 317
with Epson Bt300 goggles

I have been looking at those forever. ?

VLOS and flight data at the same time. :)

I just can't pull the trigger on the price.

DJI's response:

"Because the drone was activated over 12 months ago, we are unable to perform an investigation"

What are my options here?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pilot6521