Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

From a moving boat...

Tony-Spark

Join
Apr 16, 2019
Loc
Anacortes, WA
Web
www.electronic-supply.com
Any of you Spark Pilots have suggestions for flying from a moving boat (Puget Sound) "salt".
I've not tried it yet but I've flown off cliffs and over water from shore with a set home position and up to a mile away out in the deserts of NV and AZ but I'm not sure I am up to the gamble of flying from our boat yet.
Do I set the controller as the home point? Or should I just fly in atti mode

Any good suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Watmouth Bay-640 005.jpg
    Watmouth Bay-640 005.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 26
You can find some tips in this video:

Do I set the controller as the home point?
That's not possible when flying with DJI GO. You can only reset the home point to the current GPS location being reported by your mobile device. Each time the boat moves, you'll need to reset the home point again.

I thought the DJI GO 4 app had a setting for dynamic home point that's updated every two seconds? I was experimenting with it on a walk and my phone kept talking me that it was updating the home point. Try it walking around and see if that will work for you.

I thought the DJI GO 4 app had a setting for dynamic home point that's updated every two seconds? I was experimenting with it on a walk and my phone kept talking me that it was updating the home point. Try it walking around and see if that will work for you.

That updates the location of the Spark during Active Track every 30 meters, not the controller.

If the Spark loses the subject during Active Track, it will go back to the last recorded dynamic Home Point and hover, verses going all the back to the original launch / Home Point.

Resetting the HP manually everytime you move as described above will bring the Spark to you with a GPS enabled device.

Reactions: SoccerRef12
That updates the location of the Spark during Active Track every 30 meters, not the controller.

If the Spark loses the subject during Active Track, it will go back to the last recorded dynamic Home Point and hover, verses going all the back to the original launch / Home Point.

Resetting the HP manually everytime you move as described above will bring the Spark to you with a GPS enabled device.
I do this all the time and have not had a problem. I however avoid going full speed as that has resulted in loss of signal. I think 20-25 miles is max that I have had no problems with.

Reactions: Spark 317
My focus when flying from and to a boost is the take off and landing. Remember the boat is moving. I usually take off the stern so once it is airborne it is clear of the boat while it hovers. Looks like it is flying away. Then the landing. When the spark goes into the beeping landing mode you can still navigate forward, backward and sideways to hold your landing ? spot. I also have hovered and grabbed it out of the air. Then flip it over to kill the motors. When upside down the spark shuts off the engines. Unfortunately it records as a crash in your flight records and it under warranty it may impact DJI decision to cover any unrelated damage I. The future.

BTW: I’m usually on a sailboat. Many cables and other things that adds to the excitement.

For your enjoyment a short video of Narragansett bay, Rhode Island. For reference, Newport is at the mouth of the bay.

My favorite tips for drone piloting from a boat:

1. Be completely comfortable with hand launch and landing. Most boats have very little clear space to land. And there are antennas and people scattered about as well. I hand launch and land 100% of the time from my boat. Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes.

2. Be completely comfortable with manual Return To Home using map view. Do not rely on automatic RTH or the set Home Point because your drone will be headed where you were and not where you are if you try those.

3. Obey line of sight rules extra closely. Boat and drone are both moving and turning so it’s easier to become disoriented.

4. Return with plenty of battery in reserve. I start return at 25% and fly 4 batteries each trip. It's not convenient but safety is precedent when flying over water.

5. Don’t bother flying if it’s windy. The chances of crashing on landing or takeoff are much higher.

Sorry if that sounds overly cautious or discouraging but accidents happen in the blink of an eye. Better to prevent a dangerous situation that try to correct one when you are surrounded by water. Want you to have a safe and stress free flight!

My favorite tips for drone piloting from a boat:

1. Be completely comfortable with hand launch and landing. Most boats have very little clear space to land. And there are antennas and people scattered about as well. I hand launch and land 100% of the time from my boat. Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes.

2. Be completely comfortable with manual Return To Home using map view. Do not rely on automatic RTH or the set Home Point because your drone will be headed where you were and not where you are if you try those.

3. Obey line of sight rules extra closely. Boat and drone are both moving and turning so it’s easier to become disoriented.

4. Return with plenty of battery in reserve. I start return at 25% and fly 4 batteries each trip. It's not convenient but safety is precedent when flying over water.

5. Don’t bother flying if it’s windy. The chances of crashing on landing or takeoff are much higher.

Sorry if that sounds overly cautious or discouraging but accidents happen in the blink of an eye. Better to prevent a dangerous situation that try to correct one when you are surrounded by water. Want you to have a safe and stress free flight!

Thank you for your advise. One thing I found that helps is I back into my landing spots. This way the drone is infrint of me and left is left and forward is forward. Much easier for last second maneuvers without thinking opposite direction. I did that on a sailboat and hit the cables holding the mast and luckily land on the boat versus bouncing of the deck and overboard

Reactions: Andre Levite
Thank you for your advise. One thing I found that helps is I back into my landing spots. This way the drone is infrint of me and left is left and forward is forward. Much easier for last second maneuvers without thinking opposite direction. I did that on a sailboat and hit the cables holding the mast and luckily land on the boat versus bouncing of the deck and overboard

Agreed. It’s much easier to stay oriented when you and drone are both “facing” in the same direction.

Works on land too!!!

Reactions: SoccerRef12

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme