Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Gimbal Overload Message

MR2 LANDO

Join
Dec 14, 2018
I just registered my new spark and went to do its first compass calibration. I received a gimdal overload warning and was not able to finish it. Any idea what my be going on? Moved it by hand and it seems to be free and not binding.

Since you are tilting the Spark at various times during the process, the gimbal is trying to keep itself level and may encounter a gimbal overload.

You should be able to dismiss the prompt and finish calibration.

You may have to restart the Spark to reset the gimbal.

Since it's new I suspect you aren't yet using a filter on the camera. That's the only time I've gotten that error.

If your repeatedly get that error I'm extra concerned that it's a new aircraft because of possible factory defect. I hope that isn't the case!

If you get that error message during flight the gimbal will freeze as a protective measure. Won't operate again until you land and power cycle

I think it's a problem with the last update of DjiGo4. I've had Spark for more than a year, and I've only been getting this kind of error lately. Simultaneously, I have seen several accounts of this error in recent days.

Reactions: Gavieboydgi
Only time I got that error was when I forgot to take my protective gimbal cover off before powering up the drone. The Spark is trying to move the gimbal, but it can't because the cover is a tight fit. Perhaps while handling the drone during calibration you contacted the gimbal with a finger and that prompted the warning?

Just a thought...

I had no problems with the compass.
Then I think there's no need to calibrate it.

Test your Spark, flying in Beginner Mode, and check performance of all subsystems, including gimbal.

As said before, maybe you touched gimbal during compass calibration, and that triggered an error.

Far as I know, and from my own experience, can't fly indoors in Beginner Mode. Best explanation I could find on Beginner Mode was HERE. DJI Manual says nothing and couldn't find it in the DJI GO 4 user guide (it's almost impossible to search it). My biggest complaint about DJI is their poor documentation, or the difficulty in finding it when it does exist. (or maybe its just me, getting older is a *****) Did find this yesterday though:
Prevent a Crash or Flyaway with Your DJI Drone (The Complete Guide)
This is an excellent resource.

Sorry for the rant and the Hijack.

If the overload message won't go away, then maybe there is a defect even though it's a new product. Might be manufacturing defect or something happened during shipping. It's under warranty so ask the shop to get it fixed or replaced if defective. I got that message too but it was after being used some time and dirt or something caused a fault. It had to be replaced.

Far as I know, and from my own experience, can't fly indoors in Beginner Mode. Best explanation I could find on Beginner Mode was HERE. DJI Manual says nothing and couldn't find it in the DJI GO 4 user guide (it's almost impossible to search it). My biggest complaint about DJI is their poor documentation, or the difficulty in finding it when it does exist. (or maybe its just me, getting older is a *****) Did find this yesterday though:
Prevent a Crash or Flyaway with Your DJI Drone (The Complete Guide)
This is an excellent resource.

Sorry for the rant and the Hijack.
You didn't mention, you were trying all this indoors.
Don't fly indoors, until you're very comfortable with sticks.
Calibrating compass indoors, is a very bad idea, also.

Try a different SD card, or reformat the one your using. For some reason that fixes this same error I have on my Phantom 3 Pro.

The problem seems to be a one time thing. I have been used the spark a few times and never received a overload warning. Perhaps it was just because it was new and maybe stuck or thight. Thanks for all your feedback.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex