Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

GIS, 3D mapping etc: is there something free as for video editing software?

Vilco

Join
Dec 14, 2017
HI
I own a Spark which is registered with the italian aviation commission in order to be able to fly also in urban areas. To date, other rthan flying for hobby I just did some roof inspections and videos of some local events, just gigs "paid" with drinks at the pub, a couple of dinners at a festival or a wheel of pecorino cheese :)
Now I talked with two persons in the building industry and both told me that if I could provide them with 3D models of building places and/or existing buildings it could be very interesting for them, and that they would pay money, not just scraps.
Before spending money on a software which I may be using for just one or two jobs, is there something free out there? I use an Android phone, so for the drone part I was thinking to Red Waypoints or Litchy, which cost really little, but for the software which should acquire the photos and build the 3D model or point cloud it looks like there's nothing free. Am I missing something?

I just got a 15 day trial of Pix4D and it is amazing. Very expensive to purchase, but if you can make the right money you can make it worth it perhaps. You decide.

Generate 2D and 3D information, purely from images with Pix4D

There are probably more, but I'm on the begining of this search as well, so I will be closely following this thread to see what others say on the subject.

Also, the attached was created with 48 pictures. I turned on the interval photo shot to 2 seconds and flew a slow pattern up both sides of the street at 52m AGL.

Attachments

• 3DScreenShot.JPG
    3DScreenShot.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
I just got a 15 day trial of Pix4D and it is amazing. Very expensive to purchase, but if you can make the right money you can make it worth it perhaps. You decide.

Generate 2D and 3D information, purely from images with Pix4D

There are probably more, but I'm on the begining of this search as well, so I will be closely following this thread to see what others say on the subject.

Also, the attached was created with 48 pictures. I turned on the interval photo shot to 2 seconds and flew a slow pattern up both sides of the street at 52m AGL.

Mmmm, interesting but pricey a lot! 5200 US$ a year, or 13000 US$ for a once-off license... but I like the fact one can license it for just a month and it would be 520 US$. Maybe I'll give it a try, but also keep an eye open for cheaper stuff :(
BTW I love that image, that's what I need to create, along with point clouds

HI
I own a Spark which is registered with the italian aviation commission in order to be able to fly also in urban areas. To date, other rthan flying for hobby I just did some roof inspections and videos of some local events, just gigs "paid" with drinks at the pub, a couple of dinners at a festival or a wheel of pecorino cheese :)
Now I talked with two persons in the building industry and both told me that if I could provide them with 3D models of building places and/or existing buildings it could be very interesting for them, and that they would pay money, not just scraps.
Before spending money on a software which I may be using for just one or two jobs, is there something free out there? I use an Android phone, so for the drone part I was thinking to Red Waypoints or Litchy, which cost really little, but for the software which should acquire the photos and build the 3D model or point cloud it looks like there's nothing free. Am I missing something?

Check out Webodm.
However, I haven't tried it much.

Br,
Lars

Reactions: Vilco
Also, here's a podcast episode discussing the topic:

That was very informative, thanks! I think he made a great point when he said to have ready many sets of pictures before starting a trial with any software, that's very good avdice. Now, what kind of photo sets do these softwares need? I already know that the EXIF data of Spark stills are incomplete and that one can partially fix it by reading more complete data and replacing the EXIF with these data, and this fixes, so this part will be taken care of, what I don't know is how to take these stills. With the camera facing 90° down (I know I have to alter the Spark's gimbal for it to reach 90°)? All from the same altitude? Or also non vertical and from differrent altitutes?
Methinks I'll have a lot to read these days :) Thanks again

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme