Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Glad I got my plates..

zenfly

Join
Jun 23, 2019
I registered mine because seemed like the right thing to do and was so easy long before I just read this...

“Failure to register an unmanned aircraft that is required to be registered may result in regulatory and criminal penalties. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years.”Oct 16, 2018

The fines in Canada are not quite so stiff, but well into the thousands. I see this changing once all the boneheads flying the new mini anywhere and everywhere recklessly spoil things for the rest of us. Sure, not all mini users will be irresponsible, but mark these words, unregulated drones that can travel 4k in any airspace will have an impact on us all.

In the US if you want to fly in controlled airspace you have to use LAANC... which means you have to register.

The Mavic Mini does have DJI GeoZone built in as well...

I registered mine also, but have to say the test is more suited to a Cessna!
One question was about taking off from an airport.....erm, again for light aircraft, we drones CAN'T how did that get on the test?
It should have been edited off.
Oh, it was not a trick answer, it really was about taking off from a airport, dumb.

Reactions: zenfly
I registered mine also, but have to say the test is more suited to a Cessna!
One question was about taking off from an airport.....erm, again for light aircraft, we drones CAN'T how did that get on the test?
It should have been edited off.
Oh, it was not a trick answer, it really was about taking off from a airport, dumb.
What test?

In the US if you want to fly in controlled airspace you have to use LAANC... which means you have to register.

The Mavic Mini does have DJI GeoZone built in as well...

Negative.
LAANC does NOT require registration.
Just went through the steps with AirMap and they never asked for FAA registration.

The FAA has opened LAANC to hobbyists.
The test question. Is on the Part 107 Remote Pilots certification test.
You also need to know what all the lines and dotted lines by color mean when you taxi around an airport. 1572611959836.png

Part 107 Remote Pilot certification
Thanks but the thread is about registering drones and my surprise of the harsh penalties for not doing so, not becoming a pro.

The fines in Canada are not quite so stiff, but well into the thousands. I see this changing once all the boneheads flying the new mini anywhere and everywhere recklessly spoil things for the rest of us. Sure, not all mini users will be irresponsible, but mark these words, unregulated drones that can travel 4k in any airspace will have an impact on us all.

DJI has made the Mavic Mini just light enough to fall under the FAA requirements for registration. It's made a benefit "No FAA Registration!"
So I predict all sorts of trouble caused by people who don't know the rules or don't care about them. So many promotional videos I see are of people flying illegally. No disclaimers about how you might need a license to fly over people or at football games, flying over cities.

I'm disappointed that DJI would actually promote irresponsible flying like this.

I agree, they know where the drones go because they pack the plug for the specific country.
Kind of a time bomb not to put in even a brief note of rules, or at least where to find them.
And your right, their own videos quite often show things you cannot do.

The new weight limit being inferred by CASA from March 2020 is 200gms. Before registration. That puts my Spark and the Mavic mini above the line and requiring registration and remote pilot

Negative.
LAANC does NOT require registration.
Just went through the steps with AirMap and they never asked for FAA registration.

From the FAA website on LAANC UAS Data Exchange...

How and when can drone pilots use LAANC?
Drone pilots planning to fly under 400 feet in controlled airspace around airports must receive an airspace authorization from the FAA before they fly.
The LAANC capability is available to pilots operating under the Small UAS Rule Part 107, OR under the exception for Recreational Flyers.
Access to the capability is provided through one of the FAA approved UAS Service Suppliers listed below. There are two ways to use LAANC:
To receive a near real-time authorization for operations under 400 feet in controlled airspace around airports. (available to Part 107 Pilots and Recreational Flyers)
To submit a "further coordination request" if you need to fly above the designated altitude ceiling in a UAS Facility Map, up to 400 feet. Applicants may apply up to 90 days in advance of a flight and the approval is coordinated manually through the FAA. (available to Part 107 pilots only)
To qualify under Part 107, you must register your drone and hold a Remote Pilot Certificate.
To qualify as a Recreational Flyer, you must register your drone and follow these steps.

Last edited:
Reactions: zenfly

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme