Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

GPS and iPad

Andrea

Join
Feb 8, 2018
Hi,

Like others, I have only been able to send my drone about 100m before the signal drops out. I bought the appropriate cable to directly connect my iPad and controller and tried again. However, this time it only went about 40m before losing contact.

I'm not very savvy about the requirements for connecting with a GPS signal but suspect my problem is because I don't have cellular on my iPad. I can't use my iPhone because it is an older model which is not supported by the App so am stuck with my iPad until upgrading one or the other (which is not expected to be anytime soon).

Can someone confirm for me that I would need a tablet with cellular data?

Thanks

No, you do not need a tablet with cellular data. It's okay to use a Wi-Fi only tablet too.

Here are some things to try:
  • Enable airplane mode on your mobile device and then turn on Wi-Fi
  • Make sure you don't have any other Wi-Fi/cellular devices near the remote controller
  • Make sure the remote controller antennas are positioned like this
  • Make sure there are no obstacles between the Spark and remote controller
  • Try flying in a location where you know there are no other nearby Wi-Fi signals (e.g. don't fly in a house neighborhood)

I'm not sure, is your RC loosing connection with Spark, is your mobile device loosing connection with your spark or is your Spark loosing satelite lock?

If the problem is connection between spark and RC (which is usually the case in EU):
I'm not sure what can be done on Apple device, but for anyone who is using android, read post 434 here - anyone having fears ''being illegal'' or being afraid for your DJI refresh care or warranty, don't read that:

DJI GO 4 MOD 2.0 | DJI GO 4 MOD LITE [ Additional Features | Android | App Ver. 4.1.15 ]

That's what I did on my Android (old samsung Galaxy s4) and I can go more than 1000m away with last version of official app without OTG - did that just for test. I don't need more than 500m but it is good to know that Spark is capable to do that easily. With 5.8GHz connection between Spark and RC. Which is even better to avoid 2.4GHz frequency congestion with various WiFi devices.
And who succesfully do that can say big thanks to Haggi.

Reactions: Andrea
MSinger,

Thank you for your help. I was aware of the importance of not pointing the antennas directly at the drone but I am so nervous just now at flying it at all that I forget what way they are pointing when I'm actually flying it. I'll have to try to remember this.

I live in a very remote area and there are no other properties, or trees, in the vicinity so the drone should be able to fly unobstructed. Having said that, I flew it over my house and that's when the signal was lost but I assumed because I was outdoors the GPS signal would still be picked up but perhaps not. It still doesn't explain why I also lost the signal when there was still a clear line of view between the controller and drone, albeit with a large shed on one side of the drone.

I am pretty sure I did have airplane mode enabled but I may not have turned on WiFi as I assumed I wouldn't need WiFi since there was a cable attached between the drone and controller. Does the camera transmit back to the controller or the iPad?

So, even with the cable attached, I still need to turn the iPad WiFi on, but have airplane mode enabled?

I also discovered it doesn't like even a very gentle breeze!

So, even with the cable attached, I still need to turn the iPad WiFi on, but have airplane mode enabled?
You can keep Wi-Fi turned off if you're connecting your mobile device to the Spark remote controller with a cable.

Two things with regards to iPad:

for whatever reason, Apple decided that devices without cellular aren't worthy of having GPS, and so your wifi iPad hasnt got it. For the purposes of using the Spark, this really doesn't matter. The only advantage of GPS on the control device is that if you were to walk a great distance from the initial take off point, you could update your new location in the app, even if the Spark was far away, and it will return to YOU. Solution: dont walk far from your take off point :)

Also, it is well known that Bluetooth will interfere with the connection (DJI engineers have said as much). Therefore you must turn off Bluetooth to ensure a good connection. And here is where Apple went dumb: if you turn off Bluetooth from the dock menu (slide up from the bottom), you ARE NOT ACTUALLY TURNING OFF BLUETOOTH. This is just a "disconnect" button. You need to go into settings>bluetooth>and turn it off there.

Hi,

Like others, I have only been able to send my drone about 100m before the signal drops out. I bought the appropriate cable to directly connect my iPad and controller and tried again. However, this time it only went about 40m before losing contact.

I'm not very savvy about the requirements for connecting with a GPS signal but suspect my problem is because I don't have cellular on my iPad. I can't use my iPhone because it is an older model which is not supported by the App so am stuck with my iPad until upgrading one or the other (which is not expected to be anytime soon).

Thanks
Quick question andrea, you said you tried using an OTG cable and got less range? The OTG is a highly controversial subject. The reason many started using it was to reduce the dropouts encountered when viewing the drones point of view on their mobile devices. But of course a lot flyers started confusing it’s use in being able to fly the drone a lot further in distance. Which is what the video provides with it’s tutorial on the correct antenna placement. Which of these were you encountering?

dont walk far from your take off point :)

I never do as I'm afraid it will land on top of something it shouldn't since it doesn't get the location exactly right. I suppose I rely very heavily on the Return to Home feature since it drops its connection so easily.

And here is where Apple went dumb: if you turn off Bluetooth from the dock menu (slide up from the bottom), you ARE NOT ACTUALLY TURNING OFF BLUETOOTH. This is just a "disconnect" button. You need to go into settings>bluetooth>and turn it off there.

Aah - that is helpful. Apple really are doing some dumb things and ruining their reputation. They are not the company they were. One of the things which annoy me most is their refusal to put an USB port on their tablets. It would make quite a few things so much simpler, especially if you don't have access to WiFi.

Last edited:
I got 100m when using only the WiFi and 40m when using the OTG cable. From other comments I'd read, users seemed to be saying that the cable gave much better distances.

When flying with the WiFi only, my view was totally unrestricted with nothing else in sight, yet I still only got 100m.

Last edited:
I fly my Spark using an iPad Air with OTG and regularly achieve 700-800mtrs distance. My process is:
* Turn Spark on
* Turn RC on and wait for connection, green light on RC.
* Turn wi-fi and Blue Tooth off on I Pad
* Selct DJi app on IPad, then plug OTG cable into iPad.
* Select Go Fly, check wi if connect between Spark and RC, in my case 5.8ghz.. check all other parameters, RTH altitude set, max distance, height and GPS active with at least 11 satellites. Ensure Beginner Mode disabled!!
Try this and see if you get any improvement..

Flying with an iPad and RC is fine with or without OTG cable. You aren't going to get more distance for use or doesn't use OTG. The problem you have is that you are using your drone with EU mode, so you need to fake your GPS signal to make DJI APP believe you are in US, this is going to activate FCC mode and you could fly too much far with better fiability.
To do this connect your drone inside a house with the remote, and use an app to fake the GPS position of the iPad, then open DJI app and it will ask you to change wifi settings, answer yes and shut off RC and drone after. Next, go outside and connect again, when the DJI app make the check again in wifi settings answer no. You'll be in FCC mode.

Thank you very much John for this detailed advice. I will certainly take a note of it and see if this makes a difference.

Can you explain this part a bit more please? I don't know enough to understand how to do this.
Download and install FakeGPS app. Use it. Select any state in US. Then switch on RC and Spark, wait till green, run DJI app, the app is going ti ask you to change wifi settings, select yes. Done. You are now in FCC. Next time you run the app always select no when prompted. For android the same is with mockation app or similar.

You only need to run the Fake GPS app once, or every time you DJI app is on EU mode.

Thank you so much Ulnar. I will certainly attempt this.

I presume altering the WiFi signal doesn't affect your normal connection to WiFi networks?

Just curious when using the fake GPS, does the Spark head for the States when RTH is initiated? o_O

Just curious when using the fake GPS, does the Spark head for the States when RTH is initiated? o_O
No, Spark get it's own gps signal. Of course, you don't fly with fake GPS running, you only use it to make DJI app change wifi mode. After this, you close fake gps and close DJI and run it again. You don't want turn your spark mad, only make the app works in FCC mode.

Thank you so much Ulnar. I will certainly attempt this.

I presume altering the WiFi signal doesn't affect your normal connection to WiFi networks?
No, it doesn't change nothing, just change wifi power output of RC and Spark, from EU mode to FCC mode.

No, Spark get it's own gps signal. Of course, you don't fly with fake GPS running, you only use it to make DJI app change wifi mode. After this, you close fake gps and close DJI and run it again. You don't want turn your spark mad, only make the app works in FCC mode.
Actually, I think it prevents app to make controller settings - from FCC to CE. You must tap cancel each time of course.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
d beard