Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

HOA banning drones

Capt742000

Join
May 23, 2019
I live in a HOA and bound by their rules. The board of directors is proposing a ban on flying drones outside of an owners property. These are small lots and the rule would kill my hobbie. I wish there was something I could do about this proposal.

• Wow
Reactions: Hawkwind
I wish there was something I could do about this proposal.
The HOA board shouldn't be able to create new rules without a vote. So, you could try convincing the majority of your fellow homeowners to vote against the new rule. If they are in favor of it, then it would be best to find a new place to fly.

In an HOA, as long as the board is not trying to change a covenant, only the board votes on rule changes. I guess I will have to fly somewhere else. Boo hoo.

This raises a lot of questions:
1. The HOA doesn't really have jurisdiction of the airspace. It would be like banning private aircraft from flying over the properties. Could you challenge the HOA in court? Maybe.
2. Why would you want to fly over your neighbors? I would rather fly over country or buildings.
3. Does this apply to real estate agents hiring a commercial drone to take pics/vids of the property? I know this doesn't apply to you, but just a question I would ask.
4. What would the HOA do if you just decide to fly your drone anyway?

???

This raises a lot of questions:
1. The HOA doesn't really have jurisdiction of the airspace. It would be like banning private aircraft from flying over the properties. Could you challenge the HOA in court? Maybe.
2. Why would you want to fly over your neighbors? I would rather fly over country or buildings.
3. Does this apply to real estate agents hiring a commercial drone to take pics/vids of the property? I know this doesn't apply to you, but just a question I would ask.
4. What would the HOA do if you just decide to fly your drone anyway?

???
Excellent points. #2. In order to fly in my neighborhood, I would have to fly over neighbors property or I could just fly over the roadways. #3 & #4. Unknown at this time since it is being considered and no rule finalized yet.

Here are some videos from DRONE U concerning the HOA that may be worth a watch.

Reactions: SoccerRef12
One other thought, I suggest you look to the county or state level government to understand what they are doing regarding drone flight. I reached out to my state representative and found they had started to write up legislation and stopped because the question of authority of the general air space. They are in a holding pattern for the last two years. Pun intended. You could bring this info to the board before they vote.

well maybe two suggestions. If the concern is privacy. I did some tests of my own with looking in windows of my house. You cannot see much unless you get within a few feet during daylight hours. Maybe do similar test and show the board the results.

Good luck

One other thought, I suggest you look to the county or state level government to understand what they are doing regarding drone flight. I reached out to my state representative and found they had started to write up legislation and stopped because the question of authority of the general air space. They are in a holding pattern for the last two years. Pun intended. You could bring this info to the board before they vote.

well maybe two suggestions. If the concern is privacy. I did some tests of my own with looking in windows of my house. You cannot see much unless you get within a few feet during daylight hours. Maybe do similar test and show the board the results.

Good luck
Good point on privacy. Maybe the HOA could adopt an ordinance that prohibits drone flights/photography below 50', or whatever would be responsible. Just a way to address the HOA concerns without banning drones completely.

If the concern is privacy. I did some tests of my own with looking in windows of my house. You cannot see much unless you get within a few feet during daylight hours. Maybe do similar test and show the board the results.
I used to live in a community with an HOA and was on the board. We only created new rules when homeowners constantly complained about a problem. That said, this rule is likely being made because one or more people who own a drone in this community have become a nuisance.

Reactions: SoccerRef12
I used to live in a community with an HOA and was on the board. We only created new rules when homeowners constantly complained about a problem. That said, this rule is likely being made because one or more people who own a drone in this community have become a nuisance.
It's only a matter of time before the FAA bans all remotely piloted aircraft other than government use because one or more people have become a "nuisance" (or terrorist). Enjoy while you can.
NYC Bans Drones
Drones could be used in terror attacks, EU security chief fears
Drones could be used in terror attacks, EU security chief fears | DW | 03.08.2019

I highly doubt that'll ever happen.
It will only take one successful attack, which will happen in the next few years. Have you flown on a commercial airline flight recently? Did you think back in the 1980s you'd be seeing the hassle and inconvenience that everyone has the pleasure of enduring? It only takes one.

It will only take one successful attack, which will happen in the next few years.
This is what's known as extreme thinking. I guess it's fun to do sometimes, but one shouldn't confuse it with reality.

Have you flown on a commercial airline flight recently?
Yes.

Did you think back in the 1980s you'd be seeing the hassle and inconvenience that everyone has the pleasure of enduring?
I don't recall that. I was just a baby back then ;)

It will only take one successful attack, which will happen in the next few years. Have you flown on a commercial airline flight recently? Did you think back in the 1980s you'd be seeing the hassle and inconvenience that everyone has the pleasure of enduring? It only takes one.

Some believe this is extreme thinking. [emoji848] Not so sure. I’m 65 (Yea..a Boomer [emoji106]) and remember when the shoe guy TRIED to ignite his shoes and was UNSUCCESSFUL. The ONE guy. Today, everyone is STILL having to remove their shoes before a flight because of the ONE guy. Look around at today’s world and it’s enough to tell you anything is possible.

If you really wanted to fly, I’d take one of the others advice and ask if their rules were meant to overrule the FAA and briefly educate them on the current FAA work in progress. IMHO.

Do you have a Model Airplane Club near you? If so, join the club and AMA.

Since the FAA has jurisdiction over airspace, then taking off and landing from your own property shouldn’t be an issue. In Louisiana, they have other laws to counter this. Trespassing and peeping Tom laws have sections concerning drones. From experience, a lot of people are just either not informed or just paranoid. I find education is the best tool in handling both. One thing I find handy when flying is fly no lower than the tallest structure in the area and do not stop and hover. Also don’t make passes over the same area multiple times in succession. Works for me. Have fun and fly safe.

My 2 cents. They cannot stop over flight but they can stop launch and recover. State of Florida, All Florida State Parks , you can fly over, which I have done many times, but have to launch outside the parks boundary.

I live in a HOA and bound by their rules. The board of directors is proposing a ban on flying drones outside of an owners property. These are small lots and the rule would kill my hobbie. I wish there was something I could do about this proposal.

I to live in a HOA, ignore them, these were the same ones that were the bullies in school. if they ban drones, what is the reason? do like I do, Horace the hell out of them, in my 50 years of living here I have found dozens of ways to make their lives miserable. Start by requesting the last 5 years of the minutes of there meetings. send this by registered mail so they have to sign it when the receive it, they have 20 days to send the requested information, if they don't send it there is a $50 a day penalty, (it's the law), if they don't send the information, take them to small clams that's what I did ( get a copy of the law, it's in the public records ), they now ignore me because I'm a trouble maker.
lots of luck
, don't screw with that old guy in the green house LOL I'm 87 and I don't take sht from the HOA

Radio Amateurs have the same HOA problems with their antennas. They have to go to extraordinary measures to hide the antennas.

Vy 73 DJ0RD/WU5T

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe