Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Hobby Tiger Lens

tmarez

Join
Jul 27, 2018
Just got the set of six Camera lens for my Spark . Seem to work good for the price . but i am no expert. here are some pictures i took with the ND 32 lens on a sunny day. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• DJI_0073.JPG
    DJI_0073.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 49
  • DJI_0078.JPG
    DJI_0078.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 47
  • DJI_0075.JPG
    DJI_0075.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 41
Reactions: Davenwolf
Not quite true

Please explain how you are using Neutral Density filters for still photography? Your reply of "not quite true" is a bit lacking in this regard.

My understanding is that they only serve a role in video. Primarily to decrease the amount of light that his his the sensor thereby allowing you to hit the Spark's cinematic sweet spot with a shutter speed of 1/60 (twice the frame rate). This gives just a tiny about of motion blur that is pleasing to the eye.

With still photography the shutter speed is adjusted to give precise exposure and frame rate is not applicable. So what exactly are you referring to?

Please explain how you are using Neutral Density filters for still photography? Your reply of "not quite true" is a bit lacking in this regard.

My understanding is that they only serve a role in video. Primarily to decrease the amount of light that his his the sensor thereby allowing you to hit the Spark's cinematic sweet spot with a shutter speed of 1/60 (twice the frame rate). This gives just a tiny about of motion blur that is pleasing to the eye.

With still photography the shutter speed is adjusted to give precise exposure and frame rate is not applicable. So what exactly are you referring to?

This is my understanding as well. I would add that at X feet of altitude motion blur is difficult to detect, which raises the question why buy/use the ND filters?
They do work flying close to objects. It's not just the motion of the object (car, boat, etc...), rather passing close by a stationary object even flying low over a field of grass, flowers, etc...the ND filters will create a motion blur, which is more natural looking than a more mechanical overly sharp look
PL (polarizing) filters can help reduce glare off water, or metal objects, etc... however, generally, they work only in certain directions in relation to the light source (sun; typically), and can cause strange saturation aberrations in the sky; otherwise.
Generally, I leave them at home.

ND filters have been used for photography far longer than for video.
Slowing down movement for example. Ever seen those nice silky waterfall shot or glassy looking water on lakes?
Also when using very fast lenses/ high aperture often you need a ND filter so the image is not over exposed.
When I photograph museum objects I'll sometimes use ND filters with flashes. Why? so I can get more "fill light" on the object to get more detail without over exposing the shot. My Fuji X100s has a built in ND filter because the aperture can open up so much.
Check this link out. The great thing about this digital age is we can never stop learning. I've been photographing for many years but this is the first time I've owned a flying camera.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=.....69i57j0l5.9417j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:
ND filters have been used for photography far longer than for video.
Slowing down movement for example. Ever seen those nice silky waterfall shot or glassy looking water on lakes?
Also when using very fast lenses/ high aperture often you need a ND filter so the image is not over exposed.
When I photograph museum objects I'll sometimes use ND filters with flashes. Why? so I can get more "fill light" on the object to get more detail without over exposing the shot. My Fuji X100s has a built in ND filter because the aperture can open up so much.
Check this link out. The great thing about this digital age is we can never stop learning. I've been photographing for many years but this is the first time I've owned a flying camera.
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=.....69i57j0l5.9417j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
The fact is, that in general, Nd filters are used to blur movement.

But a drone isn't a tripod, and I'm afraid that long exposure shots with a drone, will be all over blurred.

The fact is, that in general, Nd filters are used to blur movement.

But a drone isn't a tripod, and I'm afraid that long exposure shots with a drone, will be all over blurred.
And also to reduce the amount of light getting onto the sensor.
100% agree with a drone not being still enough though. The question appeared to be for photography in general.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar