Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Horizontal Line and distortion

TriviumF22

Join
Jul 20, 2018
I received a Spark for my birthday last month and have been flying it quite a bit, but I have been having a pretty consistent issue where much of the time, especially when either manipulating the gimbal or yawing at any speed, there is a horizontal line and distortion of the image in video. This distortion is in the video files pulled from the SD card, and is consistently about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the screen. SD card is a Lexar 633x 16GB that was marketed as for DJI.

I have been unable to locate this issue in other footage on youtube etc.

Footage is also almost always jerky when yawing (panning horizontal using left stick). I understand that the gimbal does not account for this axis but other's footage doesn't appear to have the issue?
All footage is raw off the card, no editing.

This is my favorite video I've shot so far as the lake colors looks absolutely astonishing... but it is marred by the distortion that occurs intermittently throughout, some of which is pretty promiment around 12 seconds in to 24 seconds.

This footage was shot to see how busy the pool was before walking down lol, but also to test the issue I've been having which is pretty prominent in this video. It appears that speed doesn't make much difference regarding the distortion, it appears whether going slow or fast.

This video shows that the issue is not constant, but is consistently intermittent. Even in this same video, sometimes when turning or adjusting gimbal it is smooth, but other times such as from 330 - 405 it's pretty horrible.

I appreciate your help and suggestions... this does not appear to be normal as I've not found any other spark footage with these issues... did I get a dud?

Regular pictures appear to be fine as shown in the uploaded picture below.

Attachments

• DJI_0051.JPG
    DJI_0051.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I received a Spark for my birthday last month and have been flying it quite a bit, but I have been having a pretty consistent issue where much of the time, especially when either manipulating the gimbal or yawing at any speed, there is a horizontal line and distortion of the image in video. This distortion is in the video files pulled from the SD card, and is consistently about 1/3 of the way down from the top of the screen. SD card is a Lexar 633x 16GB that was marketed as for DJI.

I have been unable to locate this issue in other footage on youtube etc.

Footage is also almost always jerky when yawing (panning horizontal using left stick). I understand that the gimbal does not account for this axis but other's footage doesn't appear to have the issue?
All footage is raw off the card, no editing.

This is my favorite video I've shot so far as the lake colors looks absolutely astonishing... but it is marred by the distortion that occurs intermittently throughout, some of which is pretty promiment around 12 seconds in to 24 seconds.

This footage was shot to see how busy the pool was before walking down lol, but also to test the issue I've been having which is pretty prominent in this video. It appears that speed doesn't make much difference regarding the distortion, it appears whether going slow or fast.

This video shows that the issue is not constant, but is consistently intermittent. Even in this same video, sometimes when turning or adjusting gimbal it is smooth, but other times such as from 330 - 405 it's pretty horrible.

I appreciate your help and suggestions... this does not appear to be normal as I've not found any other spark footage with these issues... did I get a dud?

Regular pictures appear to be fine as shown in the uploaded picture below.
I really do not see anything wrong with your footage. No line of distortion...Do you watch it on other computer, on your phone, on a tablet ?
I have a similar issue with my built in graphics of my work laptop, when I watch my footage (from spark, from action cameras, from my Sony a6000) it shows that distortion, but on my other PC it is all OK.
About yaw jittering : this is from the third axis "stabilization". It is just an electronic stabilization and does not work like a real mechanical one , so when panning I suggest you move waaaay slower than this. It will look better, I can asure you

I really do not see anything wrong with your footage. No line of distortion...Do you watch it on other computer, on your phone, on a tablet ?
I have a similar issue with my built in graphics of my work laptop, when I watch my footage (from spark, from action cameras, from my Sony a6000) it shows that distortion, but on my other PC it is all OK.
About yaw jittering : this is from the third axis "stabilization". It is just an electronic stabilization and does not work like a real mechanical one , so when panning I suggest you move waaaay slower than this. It will look better, I can asure you

You may be onto something... I have 3 separate monitors hooked up here and depending on which monitor I watch the video on, the distortion shows up in a different spot. I can't see it on the phone, and pausing the video it disappears. It reminds me of screen tearing in video games... perhaps related to the refresh rate of the monitors?

Yes, that may be the reason, too. I've always thought it is from the weak graphics card and the high bitrate videos. Too bad I do not have a high refresh rate monitor to check, but I'll try to hook up a TV to my work laptop. You can try, too, and tell what you find.

I think I see what you are talking about... but ONLY when it's small... I see a bit of distortion...but when I maximize it to full screen, it's clean and perfect. It might just be the way it looks when it's small???

I just checked some other spark vids and I when I pay attention and look close they do the same thing...but only when they are not maximized... seems to depend on what's being recorded too... might just be the way the graphics card is rendering it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar