Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

How Do I Fly Here?

Walter Hall

Join
Mar 22, 2018
Hello:

I am trying to learn how to request to fly at low levels in a restricted airspace, around 75 Feet for around 30 minutes? I registered my Spark but do not know what else I have to do to request permission? Can someone walk me through the steps please? Thanks!

In case you don't already have it, the AirMap app is must-have. It will show you where the restricted airspaces are. If the facility under which you want to fly is participating in LAANC, you can file a request via LAANC for authorization.

FAA Air Traffic Facilities participating in LAANC

There are numerous videos on YouTube that demonstrate filing with LAANC. The request requires specific information on the date and time the flight is planned, flight duration, max altitude, and the area it covers.

On the page the above link takes you, it also says, "If you want to fly in controlled airspace near airports not offering LAANC, you can use the manual process to apply for an authorization or wait until LAANC is available". The link to that process is contained within the paragraph. I've heard it can take several days for a response.

Assuming the FAA grants authorization, you will need to send that information to DJI so they can issue an unlock code you will have to enter into your drone.

Note: I've read the articles and watched the videos, but I have not done this as yet. Do your research, abide by the rules and you'll be fine. Good luck!

Added: In AirMap you will see the restricted airspace appears within a grid. When you zoom in on the grid squares you should see numbers with a red line above them. I've read that this indicates the altitude up to which the FAA MAY authorize you to fly within. The closer you get to the runways, you'll see these altitude numbers decrease down to zero, meaning there is zero chance you are likely to get approval.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe