Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

How many satellites for your home point to be updated? (Poll)

What's the minimum amount of satellites it takes for YOUR Spark's home point to be updated?

• Total voters

Let Us Drone

Join
Jan 12, 2018
Loc
San Diego, CA
Hello!

I apologize if this topic seems redundant, but I would like to gather research on what the minimum amount of satellites you personally need for your Spark's home point to be updated?

I realize that there are a lot of threads that discuss this, but from what I've seen, there really isn't a definitive number of satellites that is required. So, what's your personal experience? Cast your vote! Thanks in advance for your participation...

Regards,
Trevor

Home Point locks in at 10 and increases after I launch to clear the ground obstacles around me (trees, house, etc.) and get a better GPS signal in the air.

Reactions: Let Us Drone
I usually see GPS Mode enabled at 9-10 satellites within a minute of powering up if open view of the sky. During flight I often get up to 17-18 visible.

Technically you only need 4 satellites to plot your position on the earth plus altitude. But DJI requires several extra to account for interference and environmental factors.

I won't take off until I see at least 11 satellites and confirm Home Point is set. And then I check it on the map to be certain it is correct. Then hover at 25-30 feet to make sure VPS camera has a visual lock on Home Point as well.

I have seen "Ready to Go (GPS)" prompt as low as 8 on mine but I think it is equally important as to where the satellites are across the sky versus the total number being received that Spark takes into account before giving the OK for take off. I too wait for numbers in the teens before taking off.

I always get around 13sats available.
Apart from rtg, sat positioning should also be good to find a crashed drone however I tried it once and it was not really effective for accurately locating a missing drone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme