Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

How to do the quickest descent?

mabo

Join
Sep 17, 2018
I tried different approaches with mixed results.

Open space, no wind, remote controller, latest software, starting altitude 70m.
Normal mode: 1,5 m/s
Sport mode: 2 m/s
Sport mode + helix: 1,5 m/s (helix diameter 25m)
RTH: 3 m/s until it reached 40m altitude, then progressively slowed down up to 1 m/s at 18m

What is your experience?

I am very curious about this. From other videos and posts, I understand that you can get the same or better performance as the Air.
I wonder what it does to the life of the motors and batteries?

I am very curious about this. From other videos and posts, I understand that you can get the same or better performance as the Air.
I wonder what it does to the life of the motors and batteries?

I have not seen any drawbacks with the motors in over 6 months.
Batteries would not be affected because they are "smart".

Reactions: CarolinaDrones
I have not seen any drawbacks with the motors in over 6 months.
Batteries would not be affected because they are "smart".

Yes, they are smart but wouldn’t increasing the power to the motors strain the batteries and possibly shorten the life?

Good to know the motors don’t seem to be affected.

I read another opinion that DJI intentionally crippled the Spark and that it is actually capable of performing as well as the Air. I’m not sure I believe that.

I had both the Air and the Spark and the Air sat at home, a lot!

Yes, they are smart but wouldn’t increasing the power to the motors strain the batteries and possibly shorten the life?

Good to know the motors don’t seem to be affected.

I read another opinion that DJI intentionally crippled the Spark and that it is actually capable of performing as well as the Air. I’m not sure I believe that.

I had both the Air and the Spark and the Air sat at home, a lot!

For the descent, power is not increased to the motors.
They are allowed to run slower, saving battery power.
Now changing the ascent to 10m/s...that is a different story.

And I believe the story about the Spark being intentionally crippled...Litchi proves that.

Reactions: CarolinaDrones
For the descent, power is not increased to the motors.
They are allowed to run slower, saving battery power.
Now changing the ascent to 10m/s...that is a different story.

And I believe the story about the Spark being intentionally crippled...Litchi proves that.

That makes sense, I am a fairly new Pilot. I am just now learning about the internals and how they operate.

I wish I had more time to dedicate to Quads.

Thanks for the clarification!

Reactions: pmshop
Thanks for starting this topic, I've been wondering about this myself for a while as it descends so pathetically slowly even in sports mode ! It looks like it's a bit of work to change that but will give it a try and bump it up to 5/6, that should already make a world of difference.

Reactions: pmshop
The blades have fixed pitch designed for lift. For vertical landing it is a controlled descent. No amount of motor power will help bring it down any faster unless you are able to cut power to the motors. Practice landing like a winged drone does, forward motion with decreasing altitude.

I followed Speedmeister's hint and here is the result of my experiment, starting at 70m high and 200m away.
Sport mode (full forward and full downward): 2,4 m/s
I also tried
Sport mode + close helix: 2,4 m/s (helix diameter 3m)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena