Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Hundreds violate FAA's Drone no fly zone at Albuquerque's Baloon fiesta

I think it should be made legal to hire spotters to shoot drones out of the sky at such an event. That may sound harsh but the idiots might get the idea that they are not welcome after that is set in place.

Looks like a good idea but I have to wonder how the bird does not get injured by the spinning props. The test drone in this video was shut down the moment the eagle grabbed it. That is not going to happen in a real drone capture situation. Now teach the same bird to drop a small net on the drone to disable it. That would be much safer for the bird.

Reactions: Miket
I agree.

We had a balloon show here in San Antonio last year. Saw a few Phantoms circling the show after dark and It made me pretty upset. There were hundreds.. probably thousands..of people and these 2 idiots decided they were going to endanger people just to get some footage.
I think flying over the people, is the real danger, during popular events.

As for trained birds, here in Greece, I've seen some hawks during several events. None even thought to launch a drone.

We had a balloon show here in San Antonio last year. Saw a few Phantoms circling the show after dark and It made me pretty upset. There were hundreds.. probably thousands..of people and these 2 idiots decided they were going to endanger people just to get some footage.
It is indeed shameful and totally irresponsible. It begs a question. Why do these guys do it. Correctly you say for the footage or the stills. It in the end who views them? Is it just for the owners to gloat over and show their friends at parties? Is it just for the thrill of law breaking? Is it to put on social media to show how ‘good’ they are? Is it to sell the media for profit? If it is the latter then those who buy the footage and show it, including social media according to the CAA, are also culpable in promoting law breaking. Even we’ll respected drone sites are showing this footage. Is it time they were asked to stop?

Reactions: Lake Havasu
I would bet money the most of these drones were flown by the media or by freelancers to sell to the media! Some of the Networks think they can do whatever it takes to get the story. This is the most photographed yearly event in the world, and people and networks from almost every place on Earth are here.

I would bet money the most of these drones were flown by the media or by freelancers to sell to the media! Some of the Networks think they can do whatever it takes to get the story. This is the most photographed yearly event in the world, and people and networks from almost every place on Earth are here.
You're onto something there... airborne paparazzi...

Canon was official sponsor of the event, and Colibri Media was hired for drone coverage of the event.

So, it wasn't definitely a matter of danger, but a copyright of the footage issue.

Colibri Media was flying drones among balloons, under licence, using Canon gear.
So, they didn't want everyone with a drone, flying around, shooting the event from above.

Be careful where you fly! They are watching you! DJI Aero scope?
I for one, feel safer knowing that authorities can use this tech, shame it doesn't have a feature to force the drone to land, where you would then have to pay a fine to collect it! That might make the idiots out there think twice about flying in a NO FLY zone.

I for one, feel safer knowing that authorities can use this tech, shame it doesn't have a feature to force the drone to land, where you would then have to pay a fine to collect it! That might make the idiots out there think twice about flying in a NO FLY zone.

It can track to the landing and confiscation without due process is part of the new Part 339 passed October 5th.
Thanks AMA

Reactions: Moofer
I have crewed many balloon flights, and as such am very familiar with the durability of the envelope fabric. I have no doubt that my Spark could damage the envelope.

I don’t seem to be able to post a link, but if you search on YouTube for “Bluff Balloon Festival” you will see my videos under my BikeFlagAZ user account.

Reactions: Moofer
I wonder how many people got permission to capture the event and also how many were hired to document it. Couldn't be all rogue flyers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe