Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

I love spark palm landing but...

Frantz

Join
Jul 2, 2017
Loc
BLT - France
Yeah, i love taking off and landing from my hand but beware of not becomming over confident... :)
or you fingers could pay a high price... yesterday my nail went off...
Frantz

Who doesn't like a manicure to look prim and proper?:p

Reactions: shegeek72
I always grab my Spark with my fingers when doing a palm landing. Tried letting it land on my palm once, it didn't balance, started to fall and I had to grab it with the props still spinning that hit my fingers. Didn't break the skin, but hurt for a while!

After my first finger injury I quickly learned to have fingertips pointed FORWARD when palm landing - never straight up towards props.

It you still feel uncomfortable there's actually a finger guard designed to protect you hand (pic attached)

Attachments

• 0A8E75D9-D1D0-460D-A84A-2A3E8FE9BDEA.jpeg
    0A8E75D9-D1D0-460D-A84A-2A3E8FE9BDEA.jpeg
    512.3 KB · Views: 88
Palm landing is not a good thing to do , any thing can happen ( Murphy's law ) . if you have to Palm catch make sure you have blade guards on and a face guard also . this is just my option , i am not trying to offend anyone .

Palm landing is fine, given that your palm is flat and you’re paying close attention. One thing to consider is the size of your hand. If you have small hands, palm landing is obviously going to be more challenging.

Both my wife and I do the “Grab and Flip” capture. We sneak up on the little bugger from behind and slightly below, grab firmly and “flip” him to the side so he shuts down.

It’s a firm decisive action which is much safer than trying to Palm catch where the aircraft has a risk of drifting or the catcher shaking/moving and the craft dropping onto fingers.

Overall preference is to land on a table or solid ground, if it’s dusty, sandy or rough terrain we grab and flip.

My tips for takeoff/landing on/off the hand:
When the drone starts, my wife puts it in the palm of her flat hand and i serve the RC.
The landing takes place again on the flat hand, wait until the rotor stop and that's it.
Never had a problem or accident with it, but i take care everytime.

I lacerated a finger doing the grab and flip in a pinch one day. A nice deep cut thanks to a prop blade. Nothing a little bandage couldn't fix though. The drone was fine though.

It's not that difficult, really. After a few close calls, I learned to grab it on the sides with my fingers instead of letting it land flat on my palm. Wind can knock it over and cause injury.

Reactions: Spark 317
I am finding that, when under control of the remote, it lifts up sensing my hand under it. I have to snatch it by the sides and give it a twist for shut down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers