Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

I'm getting a little annoyed with the Spark

Oyibo VFX

Join
Oct 15, 2017
Loc
Belgium (for the moment)
Maybe I'm spoiled with a number of Mavic's and my Inspire 2 with X5S with some lenses but I'm getting really annoyed with the Spark.
Not with the drone itself but more with DJI policies and with the weird behavior of GO4.
Today I was trying to make a screenshot movie of the restrictions of Hangar Autopilot and the Spark went bezirk. Totally out of control.
After talking to Hangar, they informed me that Autopilot only works in WiFi mode. I get an RC error when using a OTG cable but can't do much with a drone that only goes 30 meters up and 100 meters far. Useless....
But when I connect the cable again, I should go to my normal altitude again.
So.... set the max altitude to 500m but it doesn't hold that. Also, I set the two buttons (specially C1) to a standard setting for me. But it doesn't hold.
Now I found out that if I connect WiFi, set my altitude to 500m and then connect the cable, it holds so I can fly over our crane here.
I've just rest in the fact that I can't use Autopilot by I'm getting seriously pissed now.
Never had that with my other DJI drones.
Will do the rest of my screen movie and post that.
Ps, this ridicules behavior happens with my iPad Pro 9.7 and with my iPhone 6S Plus.
Can't blame Hangar. They work perfectly with my Mavic's and Inspire.
It's just this stupid Spark software

Maybe I'm spoiled with a number of Mavic's and my Inspire 2 with X5S with some lenses but I'm getting really annoyed with the Spark.
Not with the drone itself but more with DJI policies and with the weird behavior of GO4.
Today I was trying to make a screenshot movie of the restrictions of Hangar Autopilot and the Spark went bezirk. Totally out of control.
After talking to Hangar, they informed me that Autopilot only works in WiFi mode. I get an RC error when using a OTG cable but can't do much with a drone that only goes 30 meters up and 100 meters far. Useless....
But when I connect the cable again, I should go to my normal altitude again.
So.... set the max altitude to 500m but it doesn't hold that. Also, I set the two buttons (specially C1) to a standard setting for me. But it doesn't hold.
Now I found out that if I connect WiFi, set my altitude to 500m and then connect the cable, it holds so I can fly over our crane here.
I've just rest in the fact that I can't use Autopilot by I'm getting seriously pissed now.
Never had that with my other DJI drones.
Will do the rest of my screen movie and post that.
Ps, this ridicules behavior happens with my iPad Pro 9.7 and with my iPhone 6S Plus.
Can't blame Hangar. They work perfectly with my Mavic's and Inspire.
It's just this stupid Spark software

DJI isn't obligated to modify it's software so 3rd party apps work properly. Sounds like Hangar needs to break the DJI Spark code so their app works like other DJI platforms.

Additionally, this is the first I've heard that Hangar Autopilot only works in WiFi mode...and, it if they were honest about it, that fact should be a caveat on their website before folks shell out $$ to buy their package.

Tsk, tsk, Hangar.

OTG cable between phone and spark rc in not supported on neither autopilot, litchi or the go app.

Using wi-fi to the rc works fine with iPhone/ipad. I have set mine to 2.4GHz, which usually gives far the best range in CE country. It autoconnects when away from home wifi, and the usb connector won’t break by accident.

Fair is fair, I rerouted the Autopilot Mission again and for the first time, I did three missions. A waypoint movie mission, a waypoint photo mission and an orbit mission. The missions I did was a little shorter then the normal routes I do with my Mavic. A little more chunky (the Mavic is much smoother) but usable for my Monthly Progress Report. Me happy again

Reactions: Randika
Ive clown many missions with autopilot the WiFi only means the connection to the spark remote from your iPhone/IPad not that you can only use the phone to control the drone and thus have the 30/100 M limit
I don’t use OTG anymore as I find WiFi link to controller works just fine

Ive clown many missions with autopilot the WiFi only means the connection to the spark remote from your iPhone/IPad not that you can only use the phone to control the drone and thus have the 30/100 M limit
I don’t use OTG anymore as I find WiFi link to controller works just fine
A little difficult to understand what you mean but I think I've got your idea.
I have done some adjustments and now I'm able to do Waypoint, Zipline and Orbit missions up to 500 meters away. All at 65m to 135m elevation. This for images and filming. Although I need to use a stabilizer in #FCPX to smooth up (best results so far with Coremelt Lock & Load stabilizer)
Of course in WiFi mode (Autopilot doesn't work with OTG cables).

Reactions: Dave woods
Well..... we're not there yet
Today, the Spark was as weird as before... Maybe it is due to my iPhone but I'll check that right now...

Try to calibrate the compass. I guess that Spark is loosing calibration slowly over time. (Interferences in Go4 getting stronger)
I‘ m testing this at the moment, but always when compass is calibrated again, autopilot will work flawlessly (iPhone 7, 11.2)

Reactions: Oyibo VFX
I make sure that I have always correct sensors but it harms no one to try this. Good for my Sunday.
Thanks for this tip

OTG cable has no advantage with iPhone/Spark, assuming BT is switched off.

My bigger concern is that Autopilot isn‘t optimized for Spark (yet). E.g., it doesn‘t implement waypoints when connection is off.

OTG cable has no advantage with iPhone/Spark, assuming BT is switched off.

My bigger concern is that Autopilot isn‘t optimized for Spark (yet). E.g., it doesn‘t implement waypoints when connection is off.

Autopilot doesn’t support LCMC for any drone ALL the features of autopilot are available for the spark so it is as optimised as its going to get and autopilots waypoint actions are far more advanced than anything available from litchi etc, if you want waypoints with LCMC you will have to wait until DJI implement waypoint mode in the firmware and use Litchi etc, but autopilots features such as airspace and GPS follow modes are far and away more advanced than any other flight controller out there

I never use LCMC and as said in an other thread, I'm getting the hang of it. Up to now, I have flown most of the Autopilot missions, Zipline, Waypoint, Orbit and Pano and Follow. Even Airspace (both with two drones as follow).
It is not smooth but very usable

Here some AirData shots from the last week..

Autolpilot01.jpg Autopilot02.jpg

Last edited:
Autopilot doesn’t support LCMC for any drone ALL the features of autopilot are available for the spark so it is as optimised as its going to get and autopilots waypoint actions are far more advanced than anything available from litchi etc, if you want waypoints with LCMC you will have to wait until DJI implement waypoint mode in the firmware and use Litchi etc, but autopilots features such as airspace and GPS follow modes are far and away more advanced than any other flight controller out there
Maybe, you are right and LCMC requires waypoints support in the SDK. However, for the RTH function, at least one coordinate can be uploaded to the craft to fly to on lost connection (aka Home). Maybe, more is possible, I am no expert in the SDK. More likely though, you’re right. IMHO, the Spark then will never support LCMC.

For some reason, I've never liked that.
If I loose connection, I want to drone to come home.
Better safe then sorry

I received a controller for my spark today. Seems i read some where that a cable must be attached between phone and controller? Can anyone help. Thanking you.

I received a controller for my spark today. Seems i read some where that a cable must be attached between phone and controller? Can anyone help. Thanking you.
Hard to say “must” since DJI is not officially support OTG cable.
Search OTG cable from forum and get correct cable.
There are two types of micro cables.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe