Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Image Quality

JRolfe

Join
May 30, 2017
I hear mixed reviews about the image quality of the Spark (both stills and video). I'm wondering if you all could weigh in on that, with 5 stars for excellent or send me a informative link on this topic thx!

I hear mixed reviews about the image quality of the Spark (both stills and video). I'm wondering if you all could weigh in on that, with 5 stars for excellent or send me a informative link on this topic thx!

Just by virtue of the specs (12mp stills, 1080p video, 24Mbps) the quality isn't matching other DJI products...but, it seems this platform was not intended to be of "prosumer" quality regarding imagery...rather, it will appeal to the market segment that believes the imagery specs are "good enough" for their hobbying or personal purposes.

Reactions: clackey
Image quality, from what has been shown via YouTube (which is not the best medium to highlight image quality), looks as good as a high end cell phone for still shots & as good as a quality cell phone for video segments with regards to image clarity, lighting, white balance and exposure (all auto settings on the Spark). You also get the added touch of it being able to stabilize the video. For a 1080p video, it looks to be in the top tier cell phone or GoPro camera segment.

I am always wondering about the discussions regarding image quality and the lack of 4k. I am a Mac user for as long as a can think of and have the latest equipment to edit in Final Cut Pro. I am not a professional end user selling my videos, they are mostly for me and friends posted on YouTube or Vimeo. How man people have 4k TV's or monitors to make it worth wile to shoot and edit for non commercial use in this format at this time? I am happy to see the Spark with its limitations for the price they offer...how many people shoot in 4k with the Mavic and then upload at 720...what a waste of money and time.

Just by virtue of the specs (12mp stills, 1080p video, 24Mbps) the quality isn't matching other DJI products...but, it seems this platform was not intended to be of "prosumer" quality regarding imagery...rather, it will appeal to the market segment that believes the imagery specs are "good enough" for their hobbying or personal purposes.
The sensor basically has the same size as that from the Mavic and both are 12MP. For photo's the main difference is the lack of RAW. The reason video is capped to 1080p looks to be marketing strategie. The way they introduce it now, with the RC's and Fly More combo's shipping later, it looks like they specifically want to have first time consumers for the first wave. They also clearly don't want to cannibalise on their Mavic market. Once a competitor comes too close to the Spark, or when the first issues have been dealt with, DJI might suddenly come up with an upgrade and actively start attracting prosumers.
But one can never be sure with DJI. But I'm sure they have a whole strategie ready for this little thing.

I think the image quality is noticeable when Spark and Mavic photos/videos are side by side. When they stand alone I wonder how many people could tell which drone took them? At least if they didn't have the specs of the image to compare each.

I think the image quality is noticeable when Spark and Mavic photos/videos are side by side. When they stand alone I wonder how many people could tell which drone took them? At least if they didn't have the specs of the image to compare each.
For sure side by side you see the difference, but if you shoot either way, nobody will see it....the footage is either boring or tells a story to be relevant

Reactions: jimbug
The only comparison between the Spark and the Mavic Pro that makes sense for comparison purposes is when you compare the same image quality. Both at 1080p but you can't compare the HD of the Spark and the 4k of the Mavic - they are not the same. For me, the Spark will be just fine with regard to image quality. Many people forget what it takes (IT Resources) to edit and process 4k, and while many current TV's that are available are 4k - seeing the 4k image is limited. For my, that is why the Mavic is a prosumer drone and the Spark is a consumer enthusiast drone. From what I have viewed on the web I believe that the image quality is going to be terrific.

Yes, I agree that Spark images will be more than sufficient for 95% of drone users who aren't making their living with aerial videography. The fact that it isn't 4K is insignificant to me. As a matter of fact it will make it much easier for me to edit the video on the same device I'm flying it with-iPad Mini 4.

You rather capture something then nothing.. But that footage/image needs to be usable.

The Phantom series was too big to lug around and took a bit of time to setup and launch.
The Mavic solved this but i was sometimes too concerned about people being intimidated by a flying lawnmower.
The Spark would now solve both issues above, being small and toyish looking will make people less intimidated.

Reactions: newdayoutdoors
I just sold my Phantom 2 and intend to pick up a Spark. I think the image quality of the Spark is excellent for what it is and agree that 95%+ of those shooting video won't notice or care that it is 1080. I shoot footage that is used on TV in the outdoor (i.e. hunting) industry. Everything I shoot is in 1080, as I don't own a single 4K camera of any sort. 1080 works and works well. Heck most of the broadcast stuff across the air is still only 720. Not to take away from the Phantoms or Mavics, but the Spark fits a huge market out there. For myself, while my Phantom with a GoPro took amazing footage and was fun, it was too big, too cumbersome, took too long to set up, and was just over all a pain in my back side. The Spark should fit well in with my gear and my needs. I am usually running short on space when it comes to packing gear into the field and I am always trying to conserve both weight and space. It should also allow me for quick setup shots that are more spontaneous, something much needed in my world of shooting video. Plus, from a personal standpoint, it will be fun to use on family trips or other just general life situations.

I am looking forward to the Spark.

The reason video is capped to 1080p looks to be marketing strategie.

The reason is the 2-axis gimbal.

Limiting it to 1080p video allows them to do some very good EIS using the spare pixels and deliver a 1080p video image that looks as if it was a 3 axis gimbal...

Reactions: Mako79
And what are video settings for Spark in DJI Go 4 app? Is there sharpness setting, like in Mavic?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme