Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Interesting Experiment. Drone Vs an aircraft wing.

Anecdotal, but one of my buddy's flys banner planes by the beach and has hit several quads. He said they bounce right off. The quads usually break of course...

I could be wrong, but I feel as if the experiment doesn't accurately reflect a collision. They launched the quad at 238mph at a stationary immovable object from what it looks like.

Reactions: jmbsmt63
Nice experiment, and we can see the damage caused by a possible collision.

In real world, drones are flying under 120m, where collisions are very unlikely to happen, and IF they happen, the speed of aircrafts flying that low, is much less than 400 kph.

Reactions: jmbsmt63
I agree that this is "staged" to have the maximum effect but I found it interesting that they were able to do that much damage even if staged. I love the reply above the drones bouncing off a banner plane...Good "real world" experience there!

The biggest variable missing here is the air vortices taking place around the wing.

With a stationary test this is missing. With a moving aircraft, the air before the leading edge of the wing is disrupted. A tiny little drone would never make a dead on impact. Instead it would get washed up and over or down and below.

This test is only propaganda for the FAA and others trying to squash hobbyist droners.

Anecdotal, but one of my buddy's flys banner planes by the beach and has hit several quads. He said they bounce right off. The quads usually break of course...

I could be wrong, but I feel as if the experiment doesn't accurately reflect a collision. They launched the quad at 238mph at a stationary immovable object from what it looks like.
They explain the speed. It's a worst case scenario, 200mph plane vs a 38mph Phantom, head on.

The biggest variable missing here is the air vortices taking place around the wing.

With a stationary test this is missing. With a moving aircraft, the air before the leading edge of the wing is disrupted. A tiny little drone would never make a dead on impact. Instead it would get washed up and over or down and below.

This test is only propaganda for the FAA and others trying to squash hobbyist droners.
Those vortices would have negligible effect at the fast closing speeds.

This is not FAA propaganda. Lab testing is needed to find out the effects of these collisions so that aircraft design can be directed to adapt to the change.

The scientist even says this: if drones were more fungible (flexible, collapsible, etc) then it would greatly lower the risk. I don't see how this would be a limit on drones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena