Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

internet service not working

Tomel

Join
Aug 12, 2018
I flew my new Spark for the first time today after doing lots of reading and watching online videos. Worked just like it was supposed to and I had no problem controlling it with the remote. Just glad I didn't crash it or experience a fly-away.

Only one problem. I could not get my mobile device to link up properly with the controller so that I could get visuals from the Spark. The DJI Go 4 app was simply frozen. I went to the wireless section of settings and the message was "internet service not working." Funny thing is it was working fine when I tested it in the house both before and after my first test flight. No problems. I could see what the Spark was pointed at and the connection between my mobile device and the RC was ok.

Here's the procedure I followed (both in the house and outside):

Turned on the Spark
Turned on the RC
Waited for the RC light to turn from red to green
Turned on my mobile device (an Amazon Fire HD 8)
Went to wireless settings and connected to the RC
Opened the DJI Go4 App. It said "Connected" in lower left of screen
Clicked "Go Fly"
Inside the house, no problem. Outside, nothing. Couldn't see any visuals and couldn't go to settings.

Any ideas?

I'm new too, but you should always turn your RC on first, drone 2nd, app 3rd. It does weird stuff sometimes if you don't do it i n this order.

I use a cable from my controller to my phone . Mine was messing around so rather then get all upset I plugged in a OTG cable and problem solved

Did you try rebooting the mobile device and restarting the Go 4 app? Perhaps try reinstalling the app. The Fire HD 8 is on the low end of required specs. The Go 4 app is resource hungry. Were there other apps running in the background?

Thanks for the various suggestions. Here are some observations

o I tried changing the order of startup and it didn't seem to make a difference for me. I did find that after awhile the connection with the remote finally occurred. Sometimes the connection seems to occur quickly, other times I need to wait what seems like forever (actually, probably a minute or two ).
o Regarding using the Fire HD 8, once it connects, all seems to work okay and seems to stay connected. Also, I seem to have ample unused RAM and storage. It's just getting it to connect. I always make sure no optional apps are running on the HD 8.
o I already had a micro USB to male USB adapter so I tried the OTG cable and couldn't get it to work. I did a little research and discovered that, apparently, the recent versions of DJI Go 4 (I have Version 4.2.24) don't work well with the OTG cable connected to an android device. The Fire HD 8 and my smartphone are both Android. Apparently, it still works with apple devices, but don't think I'll buy an iPhone just to fly the Spark since it would end up costing me quite a bit more than the Spark itself.

Again, thanks for the suggestions. I'll just continue to experiment using the Wi-Fi connection with the RC and see if I can figure out why it connects quickly at times and very slowly at other times. I'll also continue searching the web to see if anyone else has the same problem.

" it connects quickly at times and very slowly at other times. "

I have the same problem, and i always wonder if i forgot to do something (and sometimes this is the case). I need to do some more "studying'' myself....the Spark's a complex little machine, for certain! And i haven't even fully mastered my android phone yet I don't think, lol . Thank God for YouTube and forums like this!!

andre and gareth5000 . . . Yes, I understand. I get "internet service not working" error message when I try to connect my Fire HD 8 to the RC's internal Wi-Fi. Ultimately, it does seem to connect most of the time when I'm inside the house experimenting. However, during my first and only Spark flight ( since the weather hasn't cooperated the past couple of days), I couldn't get it to connect at all. I had no problem with the RC / Spark connection. I might try my android smartphone next, but I was hoping to be able to use something with a larger screen without having to go out and buy an iPad.

I use a cable from my controller to my phone . Mine was messing around so rather then get all upset I plugged in a OTG cable and problem solved
Hello Troy! I just bought one of those cables, do they let you fly your drone if you no service what so ever?

Hello Troy! I just bought one of those cables, do they let you fly your drone if you no service what so ever?

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, Huntman2014.

With or without a cable, you don't need a cell service or internet to fly the Spark.

You might have a blank map screen, unless you cache / download a map first before you fly, but the Spark will fly fine without it.

You also lose the "Find My Drone" option if you lose the Spark and need to find it.

I have flown for over two years with a WiFi only mini4 and haven't had a problem (yet). I keep the Spark in VLOS and always go through a pre flight procedure before spinning up the props. So far so good.

Welcome to the Forum. ?

Reactions: Huntman2014
Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, Huntman2014.

With or without a cable, you don't need a cell service or internet to fly the Spark.

You might have a blank map screen, unless you cache / download a map first before you fly, but the Spark will fly fine without it.

You also lose the "Find My Drone" option if you lose the Spark and need to find it.

I have flown for over two years with a WiFi only mini4 and haven't had a problem (yet). I keep the Spark in VLOS and always go through a pre flight procedure before spinning up the props. So far so good.

Welcome to the Forum. ?
oh I see, With the kind of pics I like to get I would like to be able to see what the drones seeing, thx for the help!

Reactions: Spark 317
Hi guy's, I'm another newbie, here is my experience.

When I got my spark, I had no problems getting everything to work with wifi, but Had a two or three second time lag between camera and phone.

I already new about the OTG cable from watching utube vids I discovered that I couldn't buy an OTG from where I bought the spark, so had a local electronic store to make one up for me. Micro USB to Micro USB. IT DIDN'T WORK.

Then I ordered one from ebay from a Spark accessory place. IT WORKS! This one is the right one to buy!.

I use an old Samsung Galaxy s5 { android} for flying my spark. I use this phone for flying ONLY.
I cleared it's memory, and turned of wifi and everything.

Now I have a hard connection from phone to RC, and it doesn't matter which order I turn on Phone, RC, Spark.
They ALWAYS connect, no problem. I have no lag between camera and phone, and really enjoy using it.

I hope the advice that these guy's are giving you is a good help, they all sound way more knowledgeable than me. It really is great to get all this help isn't it!.

I hope my story will help in some way. Happy flying.

Reactions: Huntman2014

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme