Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

iPad help/recommendations

rambisetr

Join
Mar 29, 2018
I've read that the otg cable and satellites issues that are now affecting Android devices don't affect Apple products. Thinking of getting a cheap used or refurbished ipad. Any recommendations on which one if it's strictly for drone flying? Not wanting to spend a lot of money. Also, can I take the memory card from the iPad and put it in my Windows 10 laptop to pull the video and pics off? Thank you.

A couple of thoughts....

Since Apple debuted their new 2018 iPad two days ago, it's got some fairly serious horsepower and the 32gb wifi model is $329.00 USD, so that's smack in the middle of refurbished money. When I first got my Mavic Pro I used my iPad mini2 with 32 gb and it was fine. Best Buy had a blowout sale on the mini 4 a few months back and that's my go to flight device - no 4G (not interested in movable waypoints), but 128 gb memory. It's never faltered.

Also, I'm not aware of any iPad that has a removable memory card. I'm sure the 4G devices have a simm card, but my iPad 3, both minis, and my wife's 2017 iPad don't have any card slots. Other than using a lightning cable direct to my PC the only other way I've transferred any data from an iPad to a computer was with the double ended thumb drives - USB on one end, lightning connector on the other.

Hope this helps.

Jake

Reactions: Loudn
For info I am using an Ipad Air 2 solely for my Drone. This is connected to the RC via OTG. So far no issues and happy flying.. :)

Thinking of getting a cheap used or refurbished ipad. Any recommendations on which one if it's strictly for drone flying?
You can use any of the iPad models listed here.

Like most technology, the newer models are faster and have more features. So, pick up a newer model if your budget allows for it.

Isn't the ipad a bit big to fit the controller in landscape orientation or do you use an adapter? I was thinking of using my ipad air

Isn't the ipad a bit big to fit the controller in landscape orientation or do you use an adapter?
Yes. You'll need to use a mount (like one of these) to attach it to the remote controller.

Best Buy is selling out the remaining stock of 5th gen IPad 32gb tablets with integrated GPS for $279.

Just picked one up yesterday. What a difference the 9.7 inch screen makes.

Reactions: perrylawrence

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe