Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Is full size iPad too bulky?

Sparky2018

Join
Apr 14, 2018
I am a new drone owner and am on the fence about what type of video monitoring I would like to use. I currently have a Samsung S7 phone but have it in a Lifeproof case so it won't fit into the actual RC. I do know they make phone holders or I could also fabricate something up for it but I'm not sure either way if I'd be happy with the size of the screen.

Since I already had a Samsung phone I started looking at Samsung tablets. I really like the size of say the Tab A or Tab E size. I think they are around 8 inches or so. The price of them were a little more attractive as well but I do know you get what you pay for. I was in Best Buy last night talking to a sales person and we did go look at iPads. I did like the size of the Mini 4 but but right next to it was "the latest" iPad with an A10 chip in it which is suppose to be the latest and greatest, fastest, ect but it was the full size iPad EDIT: 9.7" SCREEN for less money than the 4 year old design Mini 4. After seeing my choices, I want to consult the body of the forum with a few questions.

I like the idea of it being a better processor and a bigger viewer screen but was wondering how bulky would it be?

I like to see the joy sticks of the controller, so a good sturdy front tablet mount is important to me but how tippy, or unbalance would that make the controller? A mount no seeing the sticks on the Spark wouldn't be a huge deal breaker on the Spark RC but I did also purchase a Mavic Pro Platinum and that RC does have some LED readouts on the remote that would be nice to see. I did see a front mount for the MPP that you can still read the screen.

Just kind of on the fence with direction to go and was hoping for possible input from guys/gals that have flown with a full size iPad, what types of mounts you prefer, and are you happy with your set up or is it just a bit too bulky and unbalanced?

Thanks for taking the time to read all this and look forward to your responses.

Doug

Last edited:
I use a iPad 4 Mini,I also have a iPad Air2 (bigger) and both work well, the iPad Air2 does seem to wear on me after a while (weight, and size) but the view is great! I think the iPad 4 Mini is better for all around use, because of the size.You won't be disappointed with the performance of either one, and I still use both, but tend to use the Mini more because of it's size.

Your welcome! :)

I have no problem paying for a sturdy mount. 27 dollars is peanuts to what you already have invested in this hobby. I do like the fact that it is made of metal and not plastic. With your mount, are you able to see the sticks or not? I got to thinking, it's a little like playing video games. You end up watching the screen more than your hands when playing, so if you can't view the sticks, it's probably not a big deal. The bigger, better view, with faster processing is probably more valuable.

Reactions: Joe Speed
I have no problem paying for a sturdy mount. 27 dollars is peanuts to what you already have invested in this hobby. I do like the fact that it is made of metal and not plastic. With your mount, are you able to see the sticks or not? I got to thinking, it's a little like playing video games. You end up watching the screen more than your hands when playing, so if you can't view the sticks, it's probably not a big deal. The bigger, better view, with faster processing is probably more valuable.
You can mount it backwards, if you want to "see" the sticks, but I never do! It's best to fly without taking your eyes off the Spark,or the device screen. Flying by "feel" is the best way to fly undistracted, and concentrating on the Spark and what it's doing! :)

You can mount it backwards, if you want to "see" the sticks, but I never do! It's best to fly without taking your eyes off the Spark,or the device screen. Flying by "feel" is the best way to fly undistracted, and concentrating on the Spark and what it's doing! :)

Well, I just might just go and get that 9.7" iPad tablet then. I think I'd be happy with the set up and the bigger screen would be a definite plus. My Spark FMC came in on Wednesday and I haven't even charged up the batteries yet! Was waiting till I got this "viewing" dilemma figured out. Thanks again Ron.

Doug

Reactions: Ron_Dog
Yes, it's a bit bulky :)
But it is the most convenient for me.
It is either the iPad Air 2 when in nature or the iPhone 6 when in public
I have the Goggles too, but that's really bulky :)

Luc Van Nieuwenhove

Yes too bulky and the picture does not look as sharp as on a 5.5" screen, which is annoying. I put up with it when you could only do Spheres with Hangar but have seldom used it since. Maybe if the battery life was 20+ minutes but it's a chore to change batteries with an iPad hanging on your chest.

I use several, the largest being my iPad Pro 10.5. I tried the 12.9 but it is just too big. I prefer the 10.5.

I have the ipad pro with the mount and a hood, it is awesome to fly with. However it does get heavy, I would recommend a lanyard if that is what you are going for. For truly portable, I just use my iphone, it is quick, I don’t have to mess with an aftermarket mount and no one looks at it as a pro drone. (more of a toy)

I'm using an iPad Gen 5 Cellular with this mount http://a.co/4ytNw18

I works perfectly - highly recommend the 9.7

Thank you. I did find that mount for 21 dollars, free shipping. I'm anxious to get to get it and try it out. I never did make it out yesterday to pick up the new 9.7". I do have an older (2012) Samsung tablet that I might use just to test the weight/balance before I commit to the iPad 9.7" I still like the idea of the larger screen though.

That is the mount I have, it really is excellent but you have to get used to not seeing the controls.

Thank you. I think I could get over not seeing the controls. Coming from fly R/C planes back in the day, you concentrate more on the aircraft and fly by feel more than anything.

Yes, it's a bit bulky :)
But it is the most convenient for me.
It is either the iPad Air 2 when in nature or the iPhone 6 when in public
I have the Goggles too, but that's really bulky :)

Luc Van Nieuwenhove

I'm still on the fence with 9.7". I did order a mount that will accept one and am waiting for that to come in and test the weight/balance of a similar Samsung Tablet that I have. Still like the idea of the bigger screen though. Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex