Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Is the GeoFencing on DJI accurate?

Shadowboricua

Join
Jan 18, 2018
I am just wondering if relying on the GeoFencing feature for flight restrictions is enough? Is it accurate or so no need other apps to check restricted zones?

I am just wondering if relying on the GeoFencing feature for flight restrictions is enough? Is it accurate or so no need other apps to check restricted zones?
No it is not accurate (DJI still cannot render polygons accurately) and there are many errors in their restrictions.
The ONLY way to reliably and legally be sure you are not flying in restricted/controlled airspace is to use a flight chart with the correct overlays or use a commercial flight application like SkyVector or Sky Demon.

Reactions: JMR
Wouldn’t the app let you know you are in a restricted air space (nfz)? If there was a way to get the app to let you fly in nfz’s, I’d be all for it, since I live on the corner of one. However, I don’t think it’s possible and I’m pretty sure it’s against drone laws. Guess there’s no way I can ever fly across my street.

DJI's system is good for reference only, however you need to KNOW where you are flying.

For example, see my attached picture for Toronto Pearson airport. The left is DJI's FlySafe limits, and the right is how I measured the Transport Canada limits. As you can see, the green "Enhanced Warning" zone is roughly equivalent to the hard No Fly Zone around Canada's busiest airport.

Problem is, DJI's system will let you "self authorize" in the green area, but the reality is Transport Canada says you cannot fly at all in that area. Yeah yeah you can argue you can fly safely within that green area, and probably can, but that isn't the point of today's discussion.

You can also see that because DJI went with a circle, that some areas that TC says are OK to fly, are now in warning zones because of the circle radius. Another reason it is important to know where you fly.

Canada also has a blanket NFZ 9km around any disaster zone, such as forest fires. As you are probably aware, fires move, therefore so does the NFZ. You need to be aware of these things, and they may not show up in any NFZ database, or at least not in a timely manner.

nfz.jpg

Reactions: The Editor
I rest my case ^^^^^^^^

DJI's NFZ's are both erroneous and inaccurate in their rendering. They cannot be relied upon (especially if you are operating commercially)
Controlled airspace is rarely within a circular pattern but DJI thinks that the aviation world air corridors works in circles. :rolleyes:

Reactions: clouseau
I have found that AIRMAP is one of the best free tools to monitor airspace restrictions. Keep in mind as noted previously, these are not dynamically updated in real time, as is the case of situations like natural disasters or accidents. But, its the most comprehensive app I've used so far, especially depicting national parks and NOTAMS. Here in Germany, there are many many national parks that are as small as a parking lot, due to migratory bird landing zones etc. I was surprised to see that these area's were picked up by AIRMAP.

Home - AirMap

Yeah have to give a big +1 for airmap. Even if I'm in an area I know it's safe to fly in I still open it up just for a quick check. In the past it's notified me of airshows, football matches and military training exercises that caused temporary no fly zones.

I am warned about areas I'm sure I am clear of regularly. Most are easily fixed with an authorization to fly. At 1st I was second guessing myself, but after checking more reliable sources, I found DJI's margin of error, "considerable" and verify my flight with more reliable maps.

I live on the coast and the most noticeably missing NFZs are the state beaches and state parks. DJI seems to only have Air traffic NFZ.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis