Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Is there a guide to prevent fly-away

Your going to hear everything under the sun on this forum, pick and choose what to believe [emoji16] I have found hands on testing will give you the proper answer to your questions. I use OTG and love it. I also run a modified DJI GO 4 app and have the spark set to be able to go into Sport +
To each there own
Which modified app,
and wouldn't something like sport+ destroy the motors/batteries?

A lot of it comes from learning from other people’s mistakes; you’ll find a lot of these in YouTube channels. Here’s a video with some basic tips to prevent crashes and flyaways:

Good luck and safe flying in 2018!

Rule#1 - The cable you mentioned is referred to as an OTG cable. Don't use it

Definitely keep using your OTG cable, I use one on every flight and it's fantastic. Loads of advantages:
  1. Much quicker connection, no more faffing about in settings to connect to the Spark RC wifi, just connect a cable and see a live image instantly.
  2. If you are close to a wifi hotspot, you can stay online, without using up your data allowance (the DJI Go app chews through so much data!)
  3. Otherwise, no need to have wifi switched on, at all. Which will save your phone and controller battery.
  4. When transferring images/video from the Spark, the transfer speed is higher using OTG cable
  5. Reduced latency
In the latest version, the DJI Go app sometimes shows a warning of low transmission, but that's safe to ignore. What doesn't work with OTG cable?

Last edited:
1. I've got a micro-USB to lightening cable for my iphone 6. How the heck do you get DJI Go 4 to connect to the phone without wi-fi using this cable?

what I found on mine is that after launching the app, I need to disconnect and reconnect the USB cable from the controller. i then get a warning saying the accessory isn't supported. If I land change battery on spark, I have to do same thing. I use this cable: http://a.co/7byjheV

Definitely keep using your OTG cable, I use one on every flight and it's fantastic. Loads of advantages:
  1. Much quicker connection, no more faffing about in settings to connect to the Spark RC wifi, just connect a cable and see a live image instantly.

Great in theory but I've never got it work? I assumed you just plug it in and away you go but there must be some procedure I'm missing.

Edit, got it to work but it says "weak image transmission" so I'm not sure if it will be reliable or trustworthy. Not flown it yet, just connected up in living room.

Last edited:
More people used an OTG cable when the Spark was first released. As new versions of DJI GO come out, it seems like less and less features work properly when using an OTG cable.

Most people find the Wi-Fi connection works just fine after disabling Bluetooth on the mobile device and ensuring no other electronic devices are near the Spark remote controller while flying.
Something interesting to note, been playing with my Spark and like everyone is saying it makes a difference to fly in an area with minimal interference but I forget to disable my smartwatch that seem to have been causing some trouble. Darn smart watches

I like the idea of the OTG cable for quicker data transfer but the false weak data transmission would be a bit like crying wolf. How far do you let it go before it really is "weak"?

With the otg cable are you guys able to see speed,altitude,gps signal ECT? I get video and able to fly it put,but all else down at show on the app. I know the update might have messed the otg cable connection up.

Don't use it? I've seen loads of videos on YouTube stating this is one of the first things you should get? Aside from me not being able to get the bloody thing to work :) what's the problem?
As did I but you need to look at the publishing dates of those videos and you will discover that most Spark pilots gave up on the OTG after the latest (in the USA at least) DJI Go4 app update/and firmware update since it is absolutely not supported. Seems the cable may interfere with flight telemetry and those data are a very important piece in the "no flyaway" game.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast