Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Just a matter of time until......

AeroMirage

Premium Pilot
Join
Jul 28, 2017
Loc
North Carolina
Not that I would wish harm on anyone.......
But....someone ..... somewhere is bound to get cut or otherwise injured doing a palm landing.

It is bound to happen.

All it would take is any one of many possible foul ups to injure someone.
Gust of wind, false move of right stick, one motor sudden stop, catcher stumbles, catcher raises fingers, etc.

What then?

They try to sue DJI? New FW update comes out that somehow eliminates the possibility of palm landing?
I always land on the ground. I don't believe in taking un-necessary chances.

As I said, I don't wish harm on anyone, but.... the danger is there.

Palmists...... Be Careful!!

Now that's just overreacting ! Thinking this way you should not fly in proximity of 3m from yourself , there's chances wind will blow spark right in your face....

Just take it easy.

I personally never like palm launch just prefer normal takeoff then change flight mode

bennie

Good point. Does seem odd that something that could cut you badly, DJI would have created the "Palm Landing".

I've been flying AP drones for several years now and I love reading how all these different people hand launch and hand recover their drones like you're cool if you do it this way. Lets face facts, putting any body parts near a rotating blade is never a good idea. It increases your RISK of getting cut. So why do it if you don't have to?

I've hand launched and hand caught when the situation necessitated it. But as a matter of regular practice? No. I do alot of other activities where "danger" is present. I'm not one of those people that shy away from risky sports/hobbies, but I believe it Risk Mitigation and good safety practices....

Reactions: rq5t425ht
I hand catch my Chroma 9/10 times it flies. I even hand launched it from a boat once - scary.

I have no problem hand catching the Spark now but did cut myself quite nicely when hand grabbing the Spark without using the landing sequence during a somewhat emergent situation. Probably should have but didn't get stitches.

So you're probably right it's only a matter of time before someone cuts themselves pretty seriously.

The only hard surface my spark touches is the table next to my micro usb cord for charging. I launch/land by hand every time and have not had any problems. I set the FN button on RC to take off/land and all I do is press that while holding spark and its up in the air. Landing is even easier bc at any time during a landing, whether you are RTH or FN button/screen button slider landing, you just put your hand out and catch it. No need for gesture mode. The whole point of this drone being smaller is so that you can use this palm feature why anybody would ignore that is beyond me. However as I always say, to each his drone.

Good idea about the function buttons to launch/land.

I've always launched from a small pad but always caught by hand. Usually because I'm going to change the battery anyway. Might as well bring the Spark to me.

I don't do the flip trick to shut off the drone. I did it once and didn't like the way the motors were stressed.

79 Flights and all of those were plam take offs and landings. Not a single chopped finger yet! Keep palm flat with fingers down and don't grab the Spark until props have stopped spinning. No issues with tilting! follow this and you wont have any issues.

79 Flights and all of those were plam take offs and landings. Not a single chopped finger yet! Keep palm flat with fingers down and don't grab the Spark until props have stopped spinning. No issues with tilting! follow this and you wont have any issues.
Do you switch to palm take off and landing or you in regular flight mode? Do you just land on your palm with the RC, then shut down by pulling back throttle and waiting 3 seconds?

Somebody doing a pre-release test got cut pretty good, so it's already happened. They admitted they were trying something stupid at the time.

Do you switch to palm take off and landing or you in regular flight mode? Do you just land on your palm with the RC, then shut down by pulling back throttle and waiting 3 seconds?

I do the double tap and face recognition take of and then once up I switch to whatever mode I need (Tripod, Normal, Quickshot etc...). When my battery warning comes on I switch to gesture and bring it close with The RC and palm land it.

Reactions: bikemonster
I feel like any and all injuries with catch landing/take-off is human error alone. I've had several close calls with it, but all of them were me not thinking logically (having to dodge out of the way on a skinny dock because I palm launched the spark in high winds while facing into the wind...)
If you're flying within 3m or even a bit farther from yourself its easy enough to move it around so obstacle avoidance is on you and there's no chance you run into yourself unless you walk into the spark, which I don't suggest trying lol
I launch from the ground and use the slide only because I want the precision landing (just in case) Then I palm land all the time (bring it close to me, obstacle avoidance facing this beautiful bod, and hold down on left stick.) I think I'll go change it over to a button cause that's a slick idea KNAVE!

Reactions: KNAVE
Somebody doing a pre-release test got cut pretty good, so it's already happened. They admitted they were trying something stupid at the time.
I was a paramedic many years ago - my guess is what was true then is true now - 90% of the calls were a result of someone doing something stupid.

Reactions: Kilrah
I know they warn people.
Look at the Inspire2, they put a "Mind your fingers" sticker on it.
xxxiu.jpg
Somebody probably got pinched and tried to litigate.

All I am saying is that someone will do it sooner or later.
Today everything is covered with warning labels, so they have lost their meaning.
And common sense isn't all that common anymore.........
If you palm land... be careful!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis