Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Just a matter of time until......

Only drone I hand catch is something tiny like the Parrot Mambo.. and even that stings if you miss. Palm launch is cute but a totally unnecessary risk.

I've always palm launch/landed my Spark. I've also regularly hand launch/catch the much bigger Phantom 2 previously. It's fine.

But I did have had 2 problems: one LED cover came off due to a bad hand launch plus a gust of wind, the Spark hit concrete. Also first time hand launch I unknowingly tilted the Spark towards me and it flew into my face. Luckily I dodged quickly.

Here's a few tips I summarised to ensure good palm launch:
- launch with an open palm. holding the spark by the sides is asking for trouble if there were a side gust of wind.
- tilt the Spark away from you slightly to ensure it doesn't take off and fly into you
- look and catch the Spark carefully, if you miss the right moment to squeeze your fingers around its side, your fingers will be in propeller chopping area!

I use a flat palm to catch the spark and i don't "grab" it until the props are turned off. If you are in gesture mode it should detect your flat palm beneath it and then land itself with you grabbing it. There's much less risk of fingers in the prop area with an open palm.

Reactions: sebip
Not that I would wish harm on anyone.......
But....someone ..... somewhere is bound to get cut or otherwise injured doing a palm landing.

It is bound to happen.

All it would take is any one of many possible foul ups to injure someone.
Gust of wind, false move of right stick, one motor sudden stop, catcher stumbles, catcher raises fingers, etc.

What then?

They try to sue DJI? New FW update comes out that somehow eliminates the possibility of palm landing?
I always land on the ground. I don't believe in taking un-necessary chances.

As I said, I don't wish harm on anyone, but.... the danger is there.

Palmists...... Be Careful!!
I agree. I only plam land with the Prop Guards installed. Even then a finger could get caught. Anyway I don't know why so many pilots won't use them.

If you have your Fn button set to takeoff and land landing by hand is pretty uneventful. I generally do use fingers.

As many is saying, the spark is made to hand launch and land. So unnecessary discussion , like buying a car and debating about the safety of it... Firs you buy a drone that have tested, approved hand control and than you start this kind of discussion.. I read those post and start thinking that some of you chose the wrong tool. You whine abutting battery flight time, control distance , starting from a pad no hand control you don't need it and don't use it.. why in the world you end up playing with Spark?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPena