Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Just had a nice discussion with my local police.

mmee

Join
Sep 7, 2017
Hey All,

My local police department is also in charge of Animal Services. I had an officer approach me and question me about the drone. She seemed very interested in using it for locating animals in the fields around where I live. So I took the time to educate her on the product and she left saying that she wanted to get one to assist the department in locating animals. I was worried at first that she was going to say something about me flying but ended up very pleased with our conversation. Just thought id share something positive. Have a great day everyone.

Hey All,

My local police department is also in charge of Animal Services. I had an officer approach me and question me about the drone. She seemed very interested in using it for locating animals in the fields around where I live. So I took the time to educate her on the product and she left saying that she wanted to get one to assist the department in locating animals. I was worried at first that she was going to say something about me flying but ended up very pleased with our conversation. Just thought id share something positive. Have a great day everyone.
You do not say what country you are talking about (this is an international forum).
There are different rules for different countries and assisting emergency services in many requires certification.

Reactions: mmee
You do not say what country you are talking about (this is an international forum).
There are different rules for different countries and assisting emergency services in many requires certification.
Also, does it count as assisting is she is the emergency services? She was an officer.

I was flying once over a construction site. Brought it in for a landing and as soon as I shut down the motors a voice behind me said, "Man, that's cool". I turned to see 2 uniformed police on bicycles behind me. I had no idea they were there, or how long. I was a tiny bit shook at first, expecting to be told I shouldn't be doing something, but they were cool and asked the usual questions, How far will it go, how high, etc. Ended up being a friendly conversation.
This in Durham, North Carolina, USA.

Reactions: Yamsyamsyams
Didn't talk to authorities so far. But bypassers all reacted surprisingly positive to my Spark (Germany, where everything is supposed to require a permission ;) ). I learned the term for this: inconspicuous.

I think this is the biggest advantage of a Spark over a Phantom or even a Mavic. Like so:

Phantom = 1digit SLR like a pro, you will be questioned
Mavic = Mirrorless system camera, people look at you
Spark = Smart phone, you are no intruder (for the most part)

It would help though if the Spark were a lot quieter.

Psychologically, I think it is that most people can imagine themselves using a tiny thing like a Spark. Mavic or bigger, not so much ...

My experience with authorities has been a positive one. With my Phantom 4 I was flying in our vacation spot in the mountains. The local Fired Dept Chief saw my drone and asked me all kinds of questions. He thought it would be a huge help with "Smoke Spotting" or locating lost hikers... He asked me to send him all kinds of information which I did....

Reactions: mmee and Haramen
These are cool stories

Also, does it count as assisting is she is the emergency services? She was an officer.

You don't need a cert in the US if you were just answering her questions. As long as you weren't actively helping her look for animals and were just joy flying as you talked to her.

SHE would need a cert if she's using it for anything other than flying for fun (as does anyone). Your state may also have additional regulations regarding drone use by a public entity that she should look into as well.

Hey All,

Nice to hear! I think for the most part the police/authorities are interested to learn more about drones as a hobby and for more positive reasons. If someone is flying inappropriately that's another issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schmidtrobert