Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Kp Index

Wombatclay

Join
Aug 11, 2017
Well I finally got to test the Spark with what is classed around here as a high Kp of 6 and low and behold connection issues. I use UAV Forcast and only ever fly at 1 thru to 4. At 6 I was losing video signal then sometimes telemetry data and functions yet never had a disconnect from the controller, also noticed when switching from camera to video I would get delayed disconnects. I was using an OTG cable with phone in flight mode standing on a beach alone, same place I do all my flying so have a good understanding on what is expected in that area.... So solar flare activity does have a major effect on our signals. Just take note of it and fly safe folks.

Sent from my SM-G955F using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

Reactions: Moofer and JMR
Well I finally got to test the Spark with what is classed around here as a high Kp of 6 and low and behold connection issues. I use UAV Forcast and only ever fly at 1 thru to 4. At 6 I was losing video signal then sometimes telemetry data and functions yet never had a disconnect from the controller, also noticed when switching from camera to video I would get delayed disconnects. I was using an OTG cable with phone in flight mode standing on a beach alone, same place I do all my flying so have a good understanding on what is expected in that area.... So solar flare activity does have a major effect on our signals. Just take note of it and fly safe folks.

Sent from my SM-G955F using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app
Thanks for sharing your experience!

Reactions: Wombatclay
Interesting. Never knew that was a factor. The more you know

Never been able to link KP and problem in flight. But probably there would be effect only at high level and when you are at long distance, so a more or less rare condition.

I didn't know UAV Forecast did that, but I see it now! Thanks!
If your are paranoid about KP, you can try "Solar Activity K-index" (android) it has nice widget and will notify you if there is a solar event.

Reactions: suprPHREAK
If your are paranoid about KP, you can try "Solar Activity K-index" (android) it has nice widget and will notify you if there is a solar event.
Thanks!

It's not that I am paranoid, but when GA pilots are being warned of GPS outages, we should pay attention to on also.

Experienced Kp interference. Many years ago flying a Yuneec Q500. Everything was going great. Was flying fast and at about 12' when it started losing altitude. Giving it more throttle and trying to slow it down, it didn't respond, it got to within about 2' off the grass and it regained altitude. There were also some other minor things I can't recall now, but I packed it up for the day. Later I talked to a friend who also had a Q500 and flew at the exact same spot but a little later in the day and had connectivity and control issues. He mentioned he checked the Kp Index and it was high.

Checking Kp Index is now part of my pre-flight checklist....

I have flown when the KP index was a little high and had connection issues even with OTG. Also had responsiveness issues. It didn't want to do what I told it do.

I've noticed that the KP index is indicative of a storm approaching. Usually storms have some magnetic interference and a lot of higher end quads seem to be susceptible to it. It can cause everything from lack of control to compass failures and IMU failures. Even if for a second or two, that can be just enough to cause a crash. Of course larger aircraft aren't as susceptible. It has become a common practice to check the KP index before I even consider flying.

Sent from my LG-M430 using SparkPilots Spark Forum mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502