Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Lesson Learned - don't leave the batteries in a cold car

rcdancer

Join
Nov 3, 2018
Loc
SE United States
Every time I fly the Spark, I learn something new. This time when shooting the anniversary video, it was not to leave the batteries in a cold car. I left the Spark and and accessories in the car for 2 nights cause I didn't want to lug them back and forth up to the hotel room (the hotel is the amazing Chateau on the Lake up on the hill in the video.) The temperature got down well below freezing both nights. First morning when the weather was good, I was ready to shoot some great video. Took my time recalibrating since it was a new location far from home, checking the airspace, local drone laws, etc - everything I could think of. Finally ready to fly even though my fingers are freezing. However, when the controller connects it warns me the Spark cannot fly because the battery is too cold and needs to preheat. :eek:

Rats. :(

Broke everything down and back into the car, hoping the sun (first time it was out in 3 days) would heat the car up enough (we were scheduled to take a cruise on a Showboat on the lake) to get the batteries warm enough to fly in the afternoon. I knew that day was going to be my only chance since the weather would deteriorate for the rest of the time we were there.

Got back from the cruise and drove to where I tried to shoot in the morning. Got the drone out, configured everything again .... and relieved to find it will fly, although the 3 batteries are now only a little over 50% from being so cold. So a lot of pressure to get the shots I want with essentially only half the battery power. But it turned out to be one of my best videos, even though it was freezing. ;)

Lesson Learned - don't leave the batteries in a cold car.

Last edited:
I noticed that, when I started flying in the Winter months, It's amazing how much more fly time you get under ideal conditions! :D

You wear a warm winter cap to keep the noggin' warm, the same goes for the intelligent batteries of the Spark, so purchase one for those as well.

Keep them warm and toasty to enjoy the beautiful winter landscape that mother nature can provide.

Happiness is a warm puppy , and a warm Spark battery.:)

Lipos don’t like the cold or heat. Keep them warm before you go flying in the winter, and leave them in the shade in the summer.

Daren

Yesterday I was made my first snow flight! big smile on me :) Yes, on display was battery temp is under 15 degrees. That that I noticed is that Sparky was dancing his song.Going straight but suddenly Sparky start to elevate a little , then go right, then go left. Always had to correct it, and hardly have straight line

Every time I fly the Spark, I learn something new. This time when shooting the anniversary video, it was not to leave the batteries in a cold car. I left the Spark and and accessories in the car for 2 nights cause I didn't want to lug them back and forth up to the hotel room (the hotel is the amazing Chateau on the Lake up on the hill in the video.) The temperature got down well below freezing both nights. First morning when the weather was good, I was ready to shoot some great video. Took my time recalibrating since it was a new location far from home, checking the airspace, local drone laws, etc - everything I could think of. Finally ready to fly even though my fingers are freezing. However, when the controller connects it warns me the Spark cannot fly because the battery is too cold and needs to preheat. :eek:

Rats. :(

Broke everything down and back into the car, hoping the sun (first time it was out in 3 days) would heat the car up enough (we were scheduled to take a cruise on a Showboat on the lake) to get the batteries warm enough to fly in the afternoon. I knew that day was going to be my only chance since the weather would deteriorate for the rest of the time we were there.

Got back from the cruise and drove to where I tried to shoot in the morning. Got the drone out, configured everything again .... and relieved to find it will fly, although the 3 batteries are now only a little over 50% from being so cold. So a lot of pressure to get the shots I want with essentially only half the battery power. But it turned out to be one of my best videos, even though it was freezing. ;)

Lesson Learned - don't leave the batteries in a cold car.
Doesn't it say that in the introductions. Temperature range. Freakin read already

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit