Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Lightweight Spark - Under 250 Grams

• Thread starter Deleted member 15655
  • Start date
If it lands the wrong way the plastic just snaps. Drilling holes in the frame will surely weaken the structural integrity. Don't you think so?

I agree, the structural integrity would be compromised but it would be lighter which is what the OP wanted.

It may fly but use caution in Sport mode as the Spark can pull a G or two and possibly desingrate in mid air with holes drilled on the arms.:oops:

Reactions: Andre Levite
lol... okay... so making drones lighter gives them bad name... ahahaha
No, looking for a way to "get around" drone regulations in order to fly where you're not normally allowed is what gives drones a bad name. But you already knew what I meant, so...

No, looking for a way to "get around" drone regulations in order to fly where you're not normally allowed is what gives drones a bad name. But you already knew what I meant, so...

Erm... I am not talking about faking the weight. I am talking about actual physical weight reduction. I am not sure why you are struggling with such a simple statement.

It will still fall within the regulations but a different class (which is based on weight) !

If I may add to this if he reduced the weight of the frame then in theory he would not need the current battery he could reduce the battery and keep the same flight time. But what he may find is that a lighter UAV maybe hardy to keep stable to get clearer shots as any breezes are subject to push it around

Thanks for the comment Troy. You make a valid point about the stability. I guess there is only one way to find out :)

I've seen too many photos of Sparks with a broken arm after a low fall to a hard surface. Or even falling to grass with a higher drop. A Spark with a "broken wing" is a sad sight.

Thanks for reminding me how I broke it last week. :(
A barely 5 feet fall on tarmac and the front left arm got snapped right where it connects to the motor.

Reactions: Andre Levite
There are a bunch of aftermarket lightweight parts available for the Spark.
Almost 3 years ago Italian laws allowed the use of small drones in crowded areas. Main requirement is a weight limit of 300g. Because of this requirements many option parts like lightweight canopies, battery boxes and lower arms light covers showed up in different flavours, matherials and colors. Google search for something like "Spark 300gr. modifiche"/ "Kit Spark 300grammi". I'm sure it can be an helpful starting point.

Last edited:
Why not get a Tello and see if it meets your needs. At least you won’t be destroying a $500 drone if it doesn’t work. The Tello has been designed from the ground up to be a tiny light drone. It does have its limitations, but just be aware of them. For $100US you don’t have much to lose.

Chris

Is really allowed to fly in Canada in crowed areas just when under 250g? In germany the drone law sounds similar, but here it's says under 250g AND no camera attached. Even tello sized drones make really good pictures nowadays.

Guys,

This has been discussed before with no real answer that I have come across.

Why I wanna do this ?
To get around the Canadian drone regulations by bringing the weight under 250 grams. As far as I understand this will allow me to fly in urban areas where I can get cool shots.

How I plan to do this ?
3D-Printing a lightweight midframe (body/chassis). Spark has a solid one piece midframe which looks like a slight overkill for structural integrity. I wanna optimize and 3D print a midframe by shaving 50 grams off it to bring it under the weight limit along with other minor mods.

What I need to get started ?
A CAD model or accurate drawings of the DJI Spark midframe for reverse engineering.

If you guys know where I can find the above, please lemme know.

Note: If you are a sore hater with no constructive feedback; move on with your peachy life and don't bother commenting.

DeeJayEye,

I applaud what you are attempting to do. Who knows maybe you will come up with a simplified carbon fiber or 3D printed replacement frame and make some money at doing it. However, I would like to point out another direction you may want to investigate.

There is a very real convergence going on between the sub 250 gram "CINE FPV" freestyle quads and videography drones like the Spark. Everyone is wondering what will dethrone DJI in the consumer space? IMHO it will be these sub 250 gram hybrids. They are already here like the GEP-CX3 Cygnet (not a recommendation). This is just one example of many that are relatively inexpensive. Even whoop class quads like the Beta85x (85 mm motor post to motor post) from Betafpv is sporting a 1080p/60FPS HD camera that flies almost 70MPH. DJI's answer to this explosion is the Tello (seriously?).

Do any of these hybrids have obstacle avoidance, smart shots, GPS, flow sensors, barometer, or a gimbal? No they don't. But if we are honest with ourselves, we really don't need any of those features once you have become an average pilot IMHO. Even the sacred gimbal is going away with in camera stabilization like what is on the Hero 7. I call it going "back to the future".

I still fly my Spark, Mavic, Phantom ..., but they are seeing a lot less flight time over the past year. I am thoroughly hooked on the sub 250 gram class FPV quads.

Here are a few links for inspiration. The first one is a guy who removed the case around Gopro Session (4K) camera and stuck it on a 75mm brushless whoop that weighs 80g :) The second is a Cine FPV video from Johnny FPV who is a fantastic freestyle pilot that now makes money shooting videos with his FPV gear. This is from a quad that is 400 grams but I would challenge an Inspire 2 pilot to get shots like this :)

80g Cinewhoop

JohnnyFPV

Never heard that tbh... but i just wanna have the bases covered in case that ever happens.
Does anyone have a clear scenario to describe what happens if you fly with your modified drone over areas that are normally off-limits and an officer approaches you? How are you going to convince the officer your drone is actually lighter than the manufacturers specifications? Bring your own scale? And then trying to convince him the scale is not rigged? My remark about having to re-certify your drone was not picked up by anyone.
So, without any further information it looks like you are going to put a lot of effort in shaving off weigh off your drone only to have to go through a lot of trouble again while sitting in the back of a police van....

DeeJayEye,

I applaud what you are attempting to do. Who knows maybe you will come up with a simplified carbon fiber or 3D printed replacement frame and make some money at doing it. However, I would like to point out another direction you may want to investigate.

There is a very real convergence going on between the sub 250 gram "CINE FPV" freestyle quads and videography drones like the Spark. Everyone is wondering what will dethrone DJI in the consumer space? IMHO it will be these sub 250 gram hybrids. They are already here like the GEP-CX3 Cygnet (not a recommendation). This is just one example of many that are relatively inexpensive. Even whoop class quads like the Beta85x (85 mm motor post to motor post) from Betafpv is sporting a 1080p/60FPS HD camera that flies almost 70MPH. DJI's answer to this explosion is the Tello (seriously?).

Do any of these hybrids have obstacle avoidance, smart shots, GPS, flow sensors, barometer, or a gimbal? No they don't. But if we are honest with ourselves, we really don't need any of those features once you have become an average pilot IMHO. Even the sacred gimbal is going away with in camera stabilization like what is on the Hero 7. I call it going "back to the future".

I still fly my Spark, Mavic, Phantom ..., but they are seeing a lot less flight time over the past year. I am thoroughly hooked on the sub 250 gram class FPV quads.

Here are a few links for inspiration. The first one is a guy who removed the case around Gopro Session (4K) camera and stuck it on a 75mm brushless whoop that weighs 80g :) The second is a Cine FPV video from Johnny FPV who is a fantastic freestyle pilot that now makes money shooting videos with his FPV gear. This is from a quad that is 400 grams but I would challenge an Inspire 2 pilot to get shots like this :)

80g Cinewhoop

JohnnyFPV

Thanks for your reply bud, you make a great case especially with the introduction of the new Hero 7 having amazing digital stabilization. I will definitely look into this !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bornzero2none