Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Line of sight warning ?

Mtntrogger

Join
Aug 16, 2019
Took the bird our this evening for a quick spin. I haven't had it out for a couple of weeks. I put it in sport and sent it out at full tilt. At around 2200 ft out it stopped and I got a warning on screen that said something like " you are going beyond line of sight range, be careful" . I've never seen this before and I've gone quite a bit farther out than that. After I acknowledged the warning I was able to continue on with the flight, but the warning reappeared a short while later. Has anyone else experienced this before ? Was there a firmware update that occurred recently ?

Took the bird our this evening for a quick spin. I haven't had it out for a couple of weeks. I put it in sport and sent it out at full tilt. At around 2200 ft out it stopped and I got a warning on screen that said something like " you are going beyond line of sight range, be careful" . I've never seen this before and I've gone quite a bit farther out than that. After I acknowledged the warning I was able to continue on with the flight, but the warning reappeared a short while later. Has anyone else experienced this before ? Was there a firmware update that occurred recently ?
I got that as well yesterday.....almost a 2 month absence from Spark flight.

i don’t believe I actually stopped...had to X out the warning multiple times.

Reactions: MVGsparked
I wander if it's a standard 2000 foot range (or whatever) for the entire DJI fleet?

An Inspire or a Phantom might be easier to see than a Spark or Mavic Mini at whatever range it may be limited to.

? ?

I flew my Spark straight up the other day and I was expecting it to stop on it's own at 400 feet but it kept on going a bit farther. I got a warning of flying above the limit but that was all. I did not know that the Spark would fly even higher but I was surprised that I could still see it clearly at that height.

I did not know that the Spark would fly even higher but I was surprised that I could still see it clearly at that height.

The Spark will fly much higher than 400 feet AGL, it's up to us to maintain a safe altitude by setting the maximum height in the Go4 app.

I have had to set mine around a thousand feet once when flying from the shore of a lake in the valley and follow along the hill side up to the top to see over the ridge.

Although the Spark may be 1000' up from the launch point, it's still within 400' Above Ground Level.

Thanks for letting me know all of that. It will come in handy in the mountains near here.

Reactions: RotorWash
I think it's the last update.

It once gave me that message while I was holding Phoebe in one hand and remote in the other. My arms are NOT that long. Perhaps it was complaining about my eyesight?

Have not flow my Spark in awhile so have not seen this with Spark but the Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 Pro give that warning at about 3800 ft. Just a warning that you may not be able to see the drone at this distance. You can continue going out further if you choose.

it must be in the new software , anyhow who can see a Spark at 2000 feet out and 200 up , that's a dot to most people .
I certainly couldn't see it. I know that's 'against the rules' . But I have a good amount of experience flying at long distances. I'd be disappointed in myself if I never tested the capabilities of the drone and my pilot skills. I just made sure I did so in baby steps

just a word of caution , never say or show a video that you have flown out of the line of sight or above 399 feet . just don't . you never know who is reading this or any drone sight . a few years ago a drone flyer posted a video he took in a national park , he then received a letter from the FAA with a fine attached to it .he had to get a lawyer and had to appear in that state . he did receive a reduced fine . don't post a video where you are not allowed to fly .ask first if your not sure . this is not meant to alarm you , be safe .

just a word of caution , never say or show a video that you have flown out of the line of sight or above 399 feet . just don't . you never know who is reading this or any drone sight . a few years ago a drone flyer posted a video he took in a national park , he then received a letter from the FAA with a fine attached to it .he had to get a lawyer and had to appear in that state . he did receive a reduced fine . don't post a video where you are not allowed to fly .ask first if your not sure . this is not meant to alarm you , be safe .
Yes most national parks don't allow drones. Fortunately there is a ton of remote, unpopulated open spaces up here in the central rockies. I have not yet heard of anyone getting a ticket for flying beyond line of sight. Not to say that it hasn't happened. Flying in a national park is another story. My personal distance record at the moment is just less than 6000 ft from the remote/home. I didn't post it in a video. I don't even think I recorded any of it, since many other pilots on here have gone way farther than that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers