Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Litchi Mission - Travis, Metzger, Cross Mountain Loop - August 25, 2018

And you would be just the man for the job!!! I seriously think that if you had the time to make videos on Litchi, you could rack up some serious hits on that channel and make money doing it too. I at this point, think you know more about this app than the developers do as you have put it through some seriously thorough tests and have been more insightful as well as helpful about Litchi''s abilities and shortcomings. You have been a BIG influence on my decision to buy it for sure. I will be using your past and present posts on it to learn from more than just about any other source out here. If there is anyone else out here that appreciates your information on Litchi more than I do, then I would be surprised to find them. :D

And you would be just the man for the job!!! I seriously think that if you had the time to make videos on Litchi, you could rack up some serious hits on that channel and make money doing it too. I at this point, think you know more about this app than the developers do as you have put it through some seriously thorough tests and have been more insightful as well as helpful about Litchi''s abilities and shortcomings. You have been a BIG influence on my decision to buy it for sure. I will be using your past and present posts on it to learn from more than just about any other source out here. If there is anyone else out here that appreciates your information on Litchi more than I do, then I would be surprised to find them. :D

I appreciate the kind words.
Just do what i did from the very beginning...start out with 3 points...then add to it.

Good advice. I think I will do a low altitude loop around my back yard to start with. Lots to learn in using the MIssion Hub.

Reactions: pmshop
Baby Steps!
I started with a very simple mission then reviewed the video and compared it to the settings on each waypoint.
Over a few days I'm working my way up to more complcated missions.
One word of warning, watch your altitudes very carfully when planning. I came within inches of crashing into a palm tree because I set the altitude a bit low to one waypoint.

Reactions: pmshop
Thanks for the advice. I have to be extra careful of altitudes in my area due to the hilly terrain. I was just wondering what the lowest safe altitude is for clearing trees and power lines.

Thanks for the advice. I have to be extra careful of altitudes in my area due to the hilly terrain. I was just wondering what the lowest safe altitude is for clearing trees and power lines.

125ft AGL is what I run with those long distance waypoints.
I throw in an extra 25ft if I am in unknown areas.

125ft AGL is what I run with those long distance waypoints.
I throw in an extra 25ft if I am in unknown areas.
In the area I am in, I had better go with 200 feet since Litchi does not compensate for ground level variances that I know of.

In the area I am in, I had better go with 200 feet since Litchi does not compensate for ground level variances that I know of.

It does in the hub

At 0:45 of the video, the ground is 80' higher than home
At 1:07 of the video, the ground is 115' higher than home
Yet, the Spark remains 125 above the ground at all times...
...except right after cross mountain when it is slowly descending to the next waypoint roughly to 1:20

Last edited:
That is really cool. I did not notice the way the Spark rose up over the cross the first time I watched the video. I did notice that in the hub, that each waypoint shows the coordinates for each waypoint. I also saw the setting to enable elevation feature. Is that setting the one that keeps the AC at a constant altitude?

Is that setting the one that keeps the AC at a constant altitude?
That is where the "magic" happens :D

But to make something thike the Cross Mountain fly-over happen, I have to have a WP before, WP on and WP after Cross Mountain.
You can't put a WP before and after an object or the Spark will crash into it.
The flight plan doesn't know there is a rise between two points so you have to "show it" with an additional WP.

That is a simple rise you see in the video.

A more complicated rise is one I am planning out at Las Vegas at Frenchman Mountain Trailhead just off of East Lake Meade Blvd near Nellis AFB.
If I do the same, WP at the base and WP at the top, Virtual Litchi Mission shows I will crash.
The angle of ascent is shallower than the rise of the mountain.
So I will have to place WP along the way to show the flight plan where to maintain 100ft from the faces of the steep ridge lines as I go up to the summit.

Last edited:
Max framerate of the Spark at 1080p is 30fps.
Your video is uploaded at 60fps.. Why?
Doesn't look cinematic at all.

Max framerate of the Spark at 1080p is 30fps.
Your video is uploaded at 60fps.. Why?
Doesn't look cinematic at all.

I do frame upscaling with Sony Vegas 15.
Sometimes at the "Golden Hour", there is not enough light to make it cinematic.
But I continue the 60fps upscale for practice and consistency.

Here is upscaling cinematic:
Not the panning but other sections...

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis