Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Litchi - what device do you use?

DroneDoug

Join
Jul 26, 2018
Loc
Ontario, Canada
I recently got Litchi and I'm enjoying it, but I want to increase screen size to run the app easier and have a stand alone device to edit with.

I'm currently using a Google Pixel cell phone on Android. I'd like the ability to add a micro SD card for file transfers as well.

What are other Litchi enthusiasts using and what is your reason for your choice?

Last edited:
You might list your device to filter the responses.

Android or Apple?

Unless you bought Litchi for each platform.

Reactions: DroneDoug
I run it on Android. I purchased a Huawei T5 10 last week to do this exact job and am pleased with it. I chose it because it has a fast octa core processor, you can expand the memory with a micro SD card (unlike Apple) and it has a good screen I can see in the sun.

I haven't tried editing with it yet - I do that at home on the PC. But it does transfer files well in the field with an OTG card reader. I haven't managed to get files transferred directly from Sparky to the tablet by cable yet.

I did some droning at a wedding as a surprise for the bride (friend of my daughter) and it worked well. I could control Sparky a lot better on the tablet than the phone. I do find tripod mode on the DJI app works for manual flying for me.

It works well on my IPad mini4.

McloudSpark and pmshop. Do you find limits with memory when editing?

I know with many Android based tablets a user can add a micro SD card but not an iPad.

McloudSpark and pmshop. Do you find limits with memory when editing?

I know with many Android based tablets a user can add a micro SD card but not an iPad.

I pull the video out of my craft and load it to a desktop/ laptop for editing.
You will only get 720p from editing mobile devices.

DJI Crystal Sky has no peer as a dedicated drone display. However it will cost more than the Spark.

DJI Crystal Sky has no peer as a dedicated drone display. However it will cost more than the Spark.

Agreed - not even close competition with its 1000nit brightness.
Can still see it in the sun...but you will pay for the brightness.
5.5" = $469
7.85" = $699
7.85" ultra-bright = $999

Not counting mounting accessories.

Agreed - not even close competition with its 1000nit brightness.
Can still see it in the sun...but you will pay for the brightness.
5.5" = $469
7.85" = $699
7.85" ultra-bright = $999

Not counting mounting accessories.

But would be worth it if you have more than one drone in your inventory.

Hi Doug

I'm with pmshop. I am an android guy but unless it is close to stock reference Android such as the Crystal Sky runs then you just can't rely on the GO4 app 100%. DJI wrote it for reference android but some manufacturers skins on android are worse than others and the GO4 app gets testy to some degree with all of them. I have 14 android devices between the wife, the kids and I an I've tried them all. Some are better than others, none are perfect.

I'm a commercial certified RePL so any failure when I am flying costs me money even if it's just an app crash due to time lost so I went over to the dark side and bought an apple device as I wan ted cellular for convenience which the Crystal Sky didn't have. Also being a commercial pilot I have every DJI platform from the Spark to the Inspire and other brands and of course the Crystal Sky doesn't support them all.

I skipped the mini 4 simply due to the age of the design and the older A8 processor and went with a iPad Gen 6 128Gb cellular model and it has never let me down once. When the New Mini 2019 is released here in another 9 days I'll be picking up one of those and the current unit will become a backup.

I use Litchi a lot to fly way point missions on commercial jobs and I really like it. That said I would never plan a mission on a mobile device as the interface is always a little clunky with a touch screen and placing points accurately can be a little hit and miss. I always use the PC and go online to the Litchi Mission Hub and save the completed job and run it from the iPad on site.

That's not to say you can't run it on a mobile device, many people do. It's simply from my perspective it's about speed and accuracy. Actually I plan my flights on DJI Flight planner, export them to a Litch .csv file and then import them into litch from the mission hub and touch up the way points to reflect height above AGL not above take off point which Litchi can do but not all software can.

Regards
Ari

Thanks decado, very useful info. I don't want to go back to an Apple product, but if I find a good deal I might...
You have used a lot of different Android devices it sounds like and I'd love to hear which one worked best. I'm eager to find a good Android device to run Litchi, so if you have a recommendation to that end I would appreciate it.

You have used a lot of different Android devices it sounds like and I'd love to hear which one worked best. I'm eager to find a good Android device to run Litchi, so if you have a recommendation to that end I would appreciate it.

Doug, it;s honestly a crap shoot. I've used over 10 devices, the majority were different Samsung devices of one sort or another and even then it varied from device to device .. some S2's work some don't depending on region on where it was sold. The Touchwiz skin is a known offender, One less so. So an S9+ or later or an S4 Tablet is worth a try but if you are going to be buying one new I'd try and find a friend with one to test as the results for a device sold in your region compared to Australia may be different.

Essentially, the closer you can get to reference android the better you will be, by that yardstick you would expect the Google Pixel would be ok, but (has to be one right?) I've heard of them being flaky as well. I haven't looked at what is available from Google tablet wise. In the end, the most reliable of the Android devices is the Crystal Sky, even that has its issues and of course the cost is eye watering.

You can see now why I went with apple .... even my iMac computers are running stand alone windows 7 and 10. I am certainly not an Apple guy but I need the most reliable device I can get. The Apple devices beat the Crystal Sky out for reliability but not for screen brightness.

I'm currently using an iPad Gen 6. It's bulky but bullet proof. When the Mini 2019 goes on sale here on the 23rd I'll be getting one of those... as much as I begrudge it lol

Regards
Ari

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar