Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Litchi

Walter Hall

Join
Mar 22, 2018
Hello:

So I was wondering, if you fly with Litchi, does Litchi block your flight take offs like the DJI app does if your near airports?

The reason I ask is I live 1/4 mile from a small airport and cannot take off with my Spark. No I don't want to fly high, I only want to be able to go up 20 feet or so to take videos om my house and yard.

Regards,

Walt

You shouldn't be flying 1/4 mile from an active airport at any altitude. Sparks (and other quads) don't always go where you want them to go.
Does that mean that you don't know the answer to the question?

I'd like to know the answer as well. I live inside of the D.C. special area and I can't fly anywhere on my property (inside or outside) regardless of whether or not it's even possible for my Spark to fly into airspace that can be physically occupied by an aircraft larger than a car. (It's not, btw)

If someone else knows an answer to the OP's question, we would both appreciate you sharing. If you just want to play mommy or enforcer, please just ignore this thread.

Last edited:
Does that mean that you don't know the answer to the question?

I'd like to know the answer as well. I live inside of the D.C. special area and I can't fly anywhere on my property (inside or outside) regardless of whether or not it's even possible for my Spark to fly into airspace that can be physically occupied by an aircraft larger than a car. (It's not, btw)

If someone else knows an answer to the OP's question, we would both appreciate you sharing. If you just want to play mommy or enforcer, please just ignore this thread.

I can say what I want where I want and as long as I stay within the rules of this forum. Are you the mommy/enforcer of this thread? As for the OP's question, my answer indicates what I think of it.

I can say what I want where I want and as long as I stay within the rules of this forum. Are you the mommy/enforcer of this thread? As for the OP's question, my answer indicates what I think of it.
Maybe no one else here thinks off topic replies are spam, but I do. You answered a question no one asked.

* bump * to see if anyone has an answer

Good Lord man. Now you're just being obnoxious. It's pretty clear that you took my comment about mommies/enforcers personally but now you're just making the meaning self-evident.

Even Stevie Wonder can see that the O.P. and I clearly want to fly in a NFZ (DJI accuracy of said NFZ's proven not always accurate btw and, no the FAA does NOT own the air space in my dining room or even "down to the blades of grass" in my yard, imo) but the additional albeit unnecessary reasons we chose to post about why we are asking were NOT a question. Am I the only person here that knows the intent of a "question mark"? << Look! There's one now! (real question is between that mark and the previous period, or full stop if you like)

Assuming you wanted to alert the O.P. about fly-aways and why you are a strong advocate of never flying outside of what DJI interprets a NFZ to be this month, at least start off by saying something like:
"I don't know the answer, but you shouldn't be..", or "I don't know the answer, but it's not a good idea to ..", or "I know the answer but won't tell you because you shouldn't ..", etc.

I've even posted about the DJI RTH strategy that appears to make a DJI Quad fly AWAY from where the home point was set once it took off in a NFZ, then after in the air realized it was in a NFZ (yes, possible) and tried to fly "home" while avoiding the NFZ it was in. There are plenty of cautions in threads both here and on other site's forums to "school" someone about NFZ's.

And yes, you are correct that your commentary (not answer) was clearly something I didn't want to hear without a genuine answer to a genuine question. Stevie can see that too. He can probably also see that I'd love an answer from someone that actually knows, to be "No, it doesn't enforce DJI NFZ's". But I personally don't think that's likely the way DJI has built their SDK and as far as I know Litchi uses the DJI SDK.

Looks like that's the best attempt at a good answer anyone on this site will get. Clearly if I really want to know from someone with actual experience, I'll need to find another site (which I'm sure is just fine with everyone here!). It's just not that pressing to me since I know how to fly in my NFZ backyard but thought I might shell out some dollars and get something to do waypoints on my Spark. But, I think that someone has just figured that out too without waiting another year to see if DJI will ever implement it.

^^ I already know that you think everything I typed above is a "within the rules answer" and "within my rights" so I guess my account here is safe with the moderators, but I bet someone else thinks it's non value added spam.

>> "Now you're just being obnoxious"

That comment is probably against forum rules. Also calling someone who thinks it's OK to fly a Spark within 1/4 of an airport an idiot would be against forum rules.

>> "DJI accuracy of said NFZ's proven not always accurate btw and, no the FAA does NOT own the air space in my dining room or even "down to the blades of grass" in my yard, imo"

My guess would be that for the OP, a DJI NFZ 1/4 mile from an active airport is probably correct - no? The disabling of the OP's Spark at that location is a good thing. As for the FAA, what you say is actually wrong. They do own the air above your blades of grass. If you have a better idea, call your congressman.

>> "at least start off by saying something like: "I don't know the answer, but you shouldn't be..", or "I don't know the answer, but it's not a good idea to ..", or "I know the answer but won't tell you because you shouldn't ..", etc."

You sound like a mommy-enforcer

It is an interesting argument. And 1/4 mile is awfully close.

But if you must fly so close to an airport, then a few questions comes to mind. Like how high do you intend to go? If it is just your roof top, who cares. But if it is higher than 100 feet let’s say, it is a concern.

Is the airport towered? If it is, it means that there is enough traffic to warrant one, which would be another no-no to fly so close to it. If it doesn’t, how much traffic are there?

What kind of airport is it? Helicopters? They obviously fly the lowest.

Are you oriented wih the runways or on the side? If you are aligned with it, 1/4 mile is once again too close for comfort, if you are going up higher than the rooftops...

So as we can see, in DJI shoes, it is just easier to shut the darn thing down, as few of us have the aeronautical knowledge to fly a drone safely in some airspace. I don’t blame them, although it is a bummer that it seems that we are getting less and less airspace to fly into theses days...

The limitations re airports is the longest standing relevant restriction on our activities (I've been doing RC since the late 70s) and imo the last one we should worry about. Violations of that fundamentally obvious restriction is one factor that contributes to making us look like a bunch of idiots leading to an increase in other limitations imposed by local governments.

The OP did not say his airport was inactive or rarely used, so I assume that is not the case.

Last edited:
>> "Now you're just being obnoxious"

That comment is probably against forum rules. Also calling someone who thinks it's OK to fly a Spark within 1/4 of an airport an idiot would be against forum rules.
... <snip>
I just reported my own post and quoted you, so we'll see.

Let’s all deal it back a notch. No need to get hostile over this. There should be no question about flying close to an active airport... it is a bad idea unless it is highly coordinated with the tower for some sort of special arrangement.

So let’s get back to constructive dialogue without name calling and argueing. Thank you.

So.............

I was wondering. Will a spark take off in gesture mode in a Red NFZ without the use of a controller, and then can it be controlled with gestures?

Regards,

Walt

Sure fine, but at least give correct information when you do answer OFF TOPIC. You can fly within 5 miles of an airport as long as you notify the controlling authority, and they have no objections. I would caution the OP, however, that even if Litchi does not restrict take-offs the way DJI app does, you really should check with the local airport control.

Sure fine, but at least give correct information when you do answer OFF TOPIC. You can fly within 5 miles of an airport as long as you notify the controlling authority, and they have no objections. I would caution the OP, however, that even if Litchi does not restrict take-offs the way DJI app does, you really should check with the local airport control.

I did not say anything that was not correct and it was all on topic (or ON TOPIC as you may prefer.)

In any case, by your own definition of what is ON TOPIC, your last sentence is OFF TOPIC

I don’t know the answer as I don’t live that close to an airport but I believe that no fly zones are integrated in the firmware of the spark but like I said I can’t say for sure.

With my specific answer, I can not serve because I have not been flying near NFZ.
But I have information that NFZ is built into the firmware but it also contains the DJI GO app. Hackers have been removed from Android GO, but the firmware still contains.

You made the mistake of answering the comment of a volunteer police officer and you started this debate. DO NOT reply to posts like barmlowe. They are paid agents ....

With my specific answer, I can not serve because I have not been flying near NFZ.
But I have information that NFZ is built into the firmware but it also contains the DJI GO app. Hackers have been removed from Android GO, but the firmware still contains.

You made the mistake of answering the comment of a volunteer police officer and you started this debate. DO NOT reply to posts like barmlowe. They are paid agents ....

LOL - I am still waiting for my first check! After picking thru his paranoid gibberish, I would now ask Gipsz Jakab to prove his assertion or just slink away back to troll-land.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme