Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Manual video settings tutorial-YouTube or any other source?

twickers14

Join
Sep 6, 2018
Loc
SW U.K.
Hi everyone. One of our great number talked recently about doing some video and playing around with the settings for exposure etc as he was shooting in lowish light or perhaps against the sun. When Spark was up yesterday I quickly flipped to video and saw to my amazement that there is a Manual setting as well as Auto. Anyone aware of a helpful video on how to use this facility?

Hi, twickers14. If you go to YouTube and search "dji spark manual video settings" you find a plethora of videos. Same for still photos by using the search "dji spark manual camera settings". Videos on using the Histogram function offers a lot, too. Gotta love the internet, it's the biggest library on the planet.

Hello @twickers14 ,

Setting exposure is a very broad topic. However, if you want a quick lecture on the subject and how to use it on your Spark, you may watch this tutorial linked below.

And in case you are not following this channel already, you definitely should.
Steve Coutts has some very good 'Spark specific' tips and tutorials on his channel.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated to Steve Coutts in any way. I keep recommending his channel only due to its very good 'Spark specific' content. :D

Hi, twickers14. If you go to YouTube and search "dji spark manual video settings" you find a plethora of videos. Same for still photos by using the search "dji spark manual camera settings". Videos on using the Histogram function offers a lot, too. Gotta love the internet, it's the biggest library on the planet.
Thanks. Will have a look. I do scan YT for Spark info a lot but nothing good came up that was relevant.

Hello @twickers14 ,

Setting exposure is a very broad topic. However, if you want a quick lecture on the subject and how to use it on your Spark, you may watch this tutorial linked below.

And in case you are not following this channel already, you definitely should.
Steve Coutts has some very good 'Spark specific' tips and tutorials on his channel.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated to Steve Coutts in any way. I keep recommending his channel only due to its very good 'Spark specific' content. :D
Hi Nilanjan118. Thanks for this. I have never “subscribed to a YouTube channel. I believe there is no cost involved but will I get loads of notifications?

Hi Nilanjan118. Thanks for this. I have never “subscribed to a YouTube channel. I believe there is no cost involved but will I get loads of notifications?

You are welcome.
You will get notifications only if you click on the bell icon after subscribing.
Simply subscribing would mean the videos from the channel will show at the top whenever you open the YouTube page or app. And yes, there is no cost involved for this "subscription".

You are welcome.
You will get notifications only if you click on the bell icon after subscribing.
Simply subscribing would mean the videos from the channel will show at the top whenever you open the YouTube page or app. And yes, there is no cost involved for this "subscription".

Hi everyone. One of our great number talked recently about doing some video and playing around with the settings for exposure etc as he was shooting in lowish light or perhaps against the sun. When Spark was up yesterday I quickly flipped to video and saw to my amazement that there is a Manual setting as well as Auto. Anyone aware of a helpful video on how to use this facility?
You may find some of this redundant information twickers14 but there might be something in these videos that you find helpful. They're all set to start at the camera settings section of each video.

Last edited:
You may find some of this redundant information twickers14 but there might be something in these videos that you find helpful. They're all set to start at the camera settings section of each video.

All the above are very good tutorials to get going with manual camera settings for the Spark.
However, as a beginner, it may get a bit hard to digest and get it right.
When I started shooting videos with the Spark, I simply used to let the Spark choose the right exposure (auto mode) and then lock exposure so that it didn't keep changing with varying light. With the Fn button on the remote set as Exposure Lock/Unlock, all we need to do is point the camera towards our subject and then press the Fn button to lock exposure.

Reactions: RotorWash
All the above are very good tutorials to get going with manual camera settings for the Spark.
However, as a beginner, it may get a bit hard to digest and get it right.
When I started shooting videos with the Spark, I simply used to let the Spark choose the right exposure (auto mode) and then lock exposure so that it didn't keep changing with varying light. With the Fn button on the remote set as Exposure Lock/Unlock, all we need to do is point the camera towards our subject and then press the Fn button to lock exposure.
I endorse this 100%. I know that many of the pros recommend going on to manual settings, but I've found that no matter how much I read/watch about manual settings, with the limited flight time on the Spark, I'm more productive just staying with Auto and using Exposure Lock. This way, I can concentrate on my subject matter and my flight moves, rather than having to fuss with the manual settings...haha.
Just my beginner's point of view.
Cheers!

Thank you hugely everyone for your input and guidance. I’m sort of in Rwarrior’s camp simply because I still consider myself an inexperienced flyer (even after 195 flights-with 2 huge mishaps both of which Spark survived) and I do have to concentrate on the flying. With only 10/11 minutes flight time I do experiment with different settings occasionally but mainly I just marvel at the technology that allows me to see where I am from a totally different perspective. I have all these helpful videos etc to refer to and will experiment with many of them as I continue to learn to fly the great little Spark.

Thanks for this too. I have watched Steve before and love his clarity and the Canadian accent-very distinctive.
Accent? We have an accent? Ha ha ha! Depends on where in Canada you are listening! From where I am , we sound almost the same as people living in Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan... there's very little difference, until... you go to eastern Canada, Quebec (very french in part) New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and best of all, Newfoundland and Labrador. Those really stand out, even to us middlers! Out west, not so much difference really. Steve and I sound the same pretty much! Now, RotorWash, he might sound a little different :p

But I digress! Steve's (and RotorWash)'s videos are top notch.

Accent? We have an accent? Ha ha ha! Depends on where in Canada you are listening! From where I am , we sound almost the same as people living in Wisconsin, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan... there's very little difference, until... you go to eastern Canada, Quebec (very french in part) New Brunswick and Nova Scotia, and best of all, Newfoundland and Labrador. Those really stand out, even to us middlers! Out west, not so much difference really. Steve and I sound the same pretty much! Now, RotorWash, he might sound a little different :p

But I digress! Steve's (and RotorWash)'s videos are top notch.
lol, but we all say eh ...

That’s me put in my place!! I suspect that these days observing that someone speaks with an accent is rather disrespectful as it only means that they speak and pronounce words differently to me. I find that the only way I can differentiate between a Canadian and a any other Country style of speech is the way the word “about” is said. Steve says “abooout”. It’s very charming and I love to listen to and try to pick out where people come from. Anyway we digress, as you say, and thanks for your observation. Safe flying.

That’s me put in my place!! I suspect that these days observing that someone speaks with an accent is rather disrespectful as it only means that they speak and pronounce words differently to me. I find that the only way I can differentiate between a Canadian and a any other Country style of speech is the way the word “about” is said. Steve says “abooout”. It’s very charming and I love to listen to and try to pick out where people come from. Anyway we digress, as you say, and thanks for your observation. Safe flying.
I agree, we are all from someplace, we dont need labels however, that's what makes some people think we're different and sadly, inferior to them. They should all just get a Spark and look up! Take off eh!

ol, but we all say eh ...

CND... was the original spelling of the Country.

But it ended up being...

C-eh, N-eh, D-eh. (Canada)

Looks French to me. ?

Okay, we are slipping away from the topic so will cease and desist after this one eh!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme